1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘Twas the week before SATs...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by andrewchown, May 7, 2018.

1. andrewchown

andrewchown New commenter

and all through the school, the teachers were chilled and kids looked real cool. Well, maybe not but they are pretty chilled.

My boss asked me the same question he has for the last few weeks, “are the ready?”
    I replied with my usual answer of as they will ever be (which I’m pretty sure drives him mad). And how can you make sure that they are? I’ve done my best to cover everything, fill the gaps, give them some advice on test technique (skip it, come back to it, you could be getting lots of easy one mark questions instead of spending ten minutes on three markers...), answer all the whys and what’s. At the end of the day though, they are young kids having to cope with pressure.

I’ve designed a few last minute things to help out (shameless plug for my TES shop here) but I can’t cover everything. I’ve explained why we have to do SATs but I can’t tell them that they won’t be tested again as soon as they get to secondary school. I’ve told them that it is important but I can’t tell them it’s as important for them as it is for the school.

I think what I’m trying to say is that, when I reflect on what SATs is, it’s also good to reflect on what it is not. It IS a yard stick for the school and teacher, but NOT for the children (and they are the reason we do this).

I know my class will do fine, as I’m good at my job. I know it won’t effect my pay, as the school is skint. I know the we won’t get beaten with the yard stick, as we will measure up. I know that, after all is done, they will leave me smarter and better prepared than when they came to me. I also know I don’t need SATs to tell me that.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

You are so right, andrewchown.

We will try to plug last-minute gaps this week ... SPAG, calculation practise, reasoning and a bit of reading (not a whole paper) - all in short bursts. Will also ask the kids what they want to go over. We'll work our socks off all week, then do something fun for most of Friday afternoon, before a final 15 minute chat at the end of the day about what to do at the weekend - a bit of revision of whatever you feel you need, lots of fresh air and early nights!

Best of luck with your class.