1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TVspeak...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rosievoice, Dec 6, 2015.

1. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I have just heard a presenter on a jewellery shopping channel state, "Charm bracelets have been synonymous for centuries." Eh?

Using an autocue doesn't always help, as the presenters on the One show demonstrate. They frequently spout total gibberish. Last week, a BBC news chappie informed the country that, "Mr Bloggs has received dialysis treatment for many years up and down the country." *long pause* "Dialysis provision varies." It sounds as though poor Mr Bloggs has spent his life on the road chasing treatment.

Do they never do a read-through to get the gist of the story before they show themselves up in front of the camera? Or aren't they bothered? They have mindlessly chanted through the script, so who cares if it is unintelligible?:mad:
    This possibly annoys me more than "compu'er".

I blame schools. Pupils are obviously not taught how to read aloud any more......

I need more chocolate. ;)

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

This annoys me too, It happens all the time on BBC radio, news readers and travel news readers who clearly haven't read through the script and don't actually know what it is they're reading.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It's even worse when they are staring so fixedly at the autocue. I'm surprised at the presenters who really get it wrong and often, equally surprised at those who make it look easy.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Let's face it, they have only one job to do. Sit up straight and read clearly. Tssk.

6. grumpydogwoman

The quality of the scripts is very poor though. And we have no idea if they are well-punctuated.

Dialysis provision varies around the country as Mr Bloggs can testify over a period of many years.

The topic of the sentence comes first. What is important in this sentence? Is it Mr Bloggs? Not really. It's that dialysis provision varies so put that FIRST, you fools!!!

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

But Mr Bloggs is the human interest so he has to come first.
    One of our local Primaries does a stunning job of teaching kids to read aloud.

8. grumpydogwoman

No. No. No.

The point is that it's a postcode lottery. It's not ABOUT Bloggsy! He's just an example. He's not the story.

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

He is the story. Who cares about the facts without a face?

10. grumpydogwoman

He is merely illustrative of the general point. He's a little human interest but he isn't needed. The story stands without the introduction of poor Bloggsy.