1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TV volume limiter?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tolkien28, Feb 22, 2020.

1. tolkien28

tolkien28 Occasional commenter

Yes I've spoken to her directly....... started with asking her if she could hear my TV. Her reply was no. So I used this to say that I could hear hers through the wall and her reply was that she had never had any complaints before. It's tricky because her family know my feelings, her son is round every day, but they're not that keen to do much and I just feel that I have to put up with it.

2. tolkien28

Absolutely not. Her son is round every day and I asked if the TV could be moved from the corner where the speaker backs on to my wall and his reply was ........no.

3. tolkien28

Jamvic likes this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

So what have you done to adapt your living environment to resist sound from outside it?
    It's a far more empowering approach than hoping for what seem to be already sour neghbourly relationships to suddenly turn amenable.
    You cannot change others as easy as etc etc etc

The ultimate in adapting is feeling the need finally to simply move somewhere else, but you don't need to let it get that far. If you are just simply hearing that she is up and about downstairs, then it is a structural issue, and you can negate it with soundproofing.

5. tolkien28

Thanks sbkrobson for all your suggestions, really appreciate the detail you have gone into and I will certainly be looking into some form of soundproofing if it continues much longer. I sense she has dementia and a neighbor who has known her for 12 years thinks her days are numbered at this address as she has mobility problems.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How do you think she and her family would be feeling, if that was the case? In my job, I get complaints about neighbours all the time and each needs to be dealt with with tact and diplomacy. The bottom line is that behind every door on the estate I manage are individuals who want to live in peace, but they also want the freedom to live their lives as they choose; and so long as it's reasonable, so should they be able to.

I don't think for example, that anyone should be denied the right to eat fish if they want to, but some people hate the smell of it, likewise curry. You can name any food you like that has to be cooked; and you'll find someone who objects to the smell of it being cooked and cooking smells are no less annoying than TVs turned up too loud.

In a situation where an elderly person lives with dementia, the family will go one of two ways when a complaint is made. Some will do everything they can to prevent their parents being a nuisance; some will want to be protective and get bolshie if they think a neighbour is trying to bully their mum or dad. This is most likely to be the case in the earlier stages of dementia, when the offspring are getting to grips with the disease.

I'm better able to resolve these matters than I would be if I didn't get to know each of the residents intimately enough and encourage them to talk to me, but where people don't live in sheltered accommodation and don't have an intermediary to step in, it's far more likely to end up in a row.

It's never easy to be in a situation like yours, so I would advise you speak to the council about it. The council has both the power to apply sanctions, as I do, if the issue is genuine ASB, but they would also take the route I take, in first getting a grip on what the route cause of the issue is and see what can be done about that.

With tact and diplomacy, most neighbour disputes can be resolved. It's more problematic when one or the other is a Tory voter who imagines they have are more entitled, but a black eye is usually all it takes to put things on a level playing field.

tolkien28 likes this.
  7. gag546112

gag546112 New commenter

Some TVs can do it, but few and far between. Others have a so-called hotel mode, which offers the capability, but it requires tricks to get the TV into that mode, and I think I read somewhere that it can negatively affect your warranty.

My mum also sets the volume too high on occasion. Here is a solution that I have come up with for my her. I bought a Flipper Big Button remote from Amazon. It has 6 main buttons - volume up/down, channel up/down, mute, Power toggle. It can be programmed with up to 30 favourite channels via a hidden keypad. The 6 buttons can be re-programmed from the device (TV) remote. So, I reprogrammed volume up/down to do nothing. I set an acceptable volume (acceptable for my mum) via the main device remote and then hid that one in a cupboard.

Now she uses the Flipper for turning on and off and changing channels (the channel up/down cycles around the list of programmed favourites). When the phone rings, she turns the TV off, and then on again when she finishes the call.

I hope this is helpful.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  8. tolkien28

9. tolkien28

Thanks gag546112 for your detailed reply and a very clever way of solving the problem. However it's not in my hands as her son and daughter are daily visitors and they deal with every aspect of her house. I just gently remind them that her t.v. Is on loud and they turn it down, but she can easily raise the volume again. It's not worth falling out over, so I'm living with it and wearing ear plugs in bed because she gets up early and her t.v. Is the first thing she switches on.

10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Good suggestion @gag546112 Would have been useful when my MiL was alive as she had her TV so loud I could sit at the end of the garden and hear it perfectly! Fortunately she lived in a large detached house with no one else near enough to be bothered by it.

Check hearing aid is correctly adjusted and batteries don't need replacing. Needing a new battery triggered my MiL to turn up volume rather than check the battery! [I realise this isn't a practical suggestion for @tolkien28]

In the end I just learned to live with it. I knew she wasn't doing it deliberately or selfishly, it was just old age hearing loss. She had no idea it was so loud to everyone else. She was on her own after she was widowed and watching TV was one of the few comforts she had to fill her time. I wouldn't have wanted to deprive her of that.

tolkien28 likes this.
  11. tolkien28

Yes Rot Weiler, I agree with you. My neighbours tv is on from the moment she gets up until she goes to bed and it is obviously a big part of her life. Since lockdown began on March 24 she has been out of her house once only, for a hair appointment on August 1st. So you can imagine how frustrating it's been when her t.v. has been audible through our party wall and strangely too audible upstairs in my bedroom, from her living room.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  12. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

You have my sympathy, @tolkien28 Noisy neighbours are a real problem. We are moving because of it.
    I have heard that fabric hung on the party wall can absorb sound - a tapestry or rug, for example. But that may not fit your decor.

13. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Sympathies. My next door neighbour has a 4 year old who climbed the stairs with a ' thump ' . 15 stairs. She climbed and descended very often.
    Why not invite son or daughter in for a cup of tea while your neighbours' TV is on ? As you talk make a point of cupping your ear.
    When I invited my neighbour around he asked what the awful noise was. Your daughter, I replied.....

smoothnewt likes this.
  14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Last night, for the first time, I could hear our neighbour's TV coming through the party wall. It was quite intrusive, the resonance being quite low and annoying. I noticed this morning that they have just had plantation-type blinds installed, so am guessing that the sound-proofing in the room has been reduced. I'll see how it goes, but it is not boding well.

15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

AFAICR we have not had any problems with noise from neighbours' televisions, or stereos. What we did have for a few months was an noise from bathroom extractor fan, when the house next door was rented. It made a noise like someone using an electric drill in a cave, with an added, jarring vibration to it.