1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TV Show 'Pointless'...Mathematics

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by paulcollins, Feb 25, 2012.

1. paulcollins

paulcollins New commenter

Hi there,
    I am in the process of creating a Mathematics version of the TV show 'Pointless' to use in class. In order to do this I need to collect some data on some topics that I have chosen and would really appreciate it if you could take a few minutes to complete an online survey for me in order to do this.
    The link is http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/32VNGST
    There's only 10 questions to answer.
    For those of you that haven't seen 'Pointless' it is on BBC1 every weekday afternoon. The TV game show asks contestants to find correct, but 'pointless' answers to questions; they have to find a correct answer but one that is not commonly suggested. For example, if asked for presidents of the USA, the most obscure (uncommon) answer would win the round.
    Ideally I need 100 people to answer this survey (this is the amount of people surveyed in the TV show!)
    I really hope you can help me with this and thank you in advance for doing so.
    I will also set up another survey and post the link to 10 other (different) questions if you wouldn't mind doing another set?? I'll post in a reply to this thread.
    Many Thanks,
    paulcollins (Teacher of Mathematics (GTP))

2. Done.
    Not sure about the Circle question in the second survey, I didn't really understand what it meant but that may be just me!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I like pointless - I seem to have a lot of obscure knowledge.
    Not sure about the straight line one - too many answers.
    But an interesting idea - especially for group work. Lots of discussion.

4. paulcollins

Hi everyone,
    Thank you so much to everyone that has helped and taken my survey. Here's the data...
    http://mrcollinsreflectivejournal.blogspot.com/2012/02/pointless-datathe-results-are-in.html
    I will be providing the PowerPoint presentation as soon as I've done it and will provide the link on here too/in my resources.
    If you are unable to access my blog due to school Internet restrictions (it's blocked at my school) then here's the file link..
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37694946/Pointless%20Mathematics.xlsx
    Thanks again for your help
    Mr. Collins

5. I like what you have done.
    It just grieves me that somebody thought 57, 87 and 91 are prime numbers.

6. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

And importantly even if they did only correct answers are inclded in the list.
    If you give an incorrect answer you score 100 points regardless of how many people said it

7. But the 100 answers need to be 100 correct answers. That said, however, there's no reason why Paul can't just massage the figures a bit.
    There's also 377 as a square number.

8. paulcollins

Yep! I'll be going through all of the data and removing all the incorrect answers and like you say will 'massage' the answers slightly!
    I have now created the PowerPoint to accompany the data and to use in class. Let me know what you think...
    http://mrcollinsreflectivejournal.blogspot.com/2012/02/pointless-powerpoint-to-use-with-data.html
    This will also be appearing in my TES resources. The link above is to my blog post and the file with an explanation of how I intend to use it. The file link below is just to the file itself!
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37694946/Pointless.pptx
    Thanks,
    paulcollins

9. pencho

pencho New commenter

This is great. I really like it.
    Just out of interest is there any reason you didn't use my answer of a shear as a type of transformation!!!!

10. GoldMaths

GoldMaths New commenter

I said shear to.

Again thank you for the resource will be using it.

11. paulcollins

No reason at all why some answers were not used - I was only able to view 100 results from the website and your answers mustn't have been in the 100?! I had well over 250 responses to the surveys! That's the only explanation I have as to why I didn't see these! The resource is now on my resources too!

12. paulcollins

13. I'd had same idea but you're way ahead of where I am. I've only got as far as the idea floating around in my head!! I'm planning for pupils to devise the questions to ask and set about collecting the data too. It may be a project for the back end of the summer term!

14. Thank you very much for doing this, Paul!

15. paulcollins

I've now updated the resource with the 'x' board for incorrect answers!
    I have had comments on my Twitter account that the resource is going down well in class, 1 teacher using it as a plenary to teaching equations of straight lines and discussing the class's answers...sounds like a good idea to me!

16. Thanks for this, Think my class will love this at the end of term, I love pointless.
    Just a quick point though, on the TV show they give 100 people, 100 seconds to answer, this is how you get scores of 89 for a few of them, as people give many answers. Just a small point, love the resource all the same.
    Thanks