1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TV series from your childhood

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rosievoice, Dec 22, 2015.

1. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I couldn't nod off last night, and, for some unfathomable reason, the theme tunes for "Champion the wonder horse" and "Robinson Crusoe" wafted through my memory. These were black and white series from (cough!) a few years ago, but I recalled them vividly. I think they were must-see programmes at the time.

Can anyone else remember series from the dawn of childrens' television?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I remember Champion the Wonder Horse- and the theme tune, even after all this time.

There were the lunchtime programmes. Picture Box, Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben, Woodentops. . Which one have I missed?
    Pinky and Perky puppet show- theme tune with that one too.

Theme tune which often comes to mind is Torchy, Torchy, the battery boy, yet have no memory of the actual programme.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Muffin the Mule.

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Thank you Lascarina.

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Ragtag and Bobtail, and Tales of the River bank

7. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Little House on the Prairie (TV series)

I checked because I did not remember how long it was: 205 episodes. Did you see it in Britain?

My partner still talks about Batman!

8. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Most of the above and.....Follyfoot. Loved it.

9. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben, Pinky and Perky and Skippy the bush kangaroo!

10. Lara mfl 05

Ooh I 'd forgotten that one!
    That's the one I was thinking of in the 'Mon-Fri ones.

11. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Why Don't You?

Ground breaking and well ahead of it's time…

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  12. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Andy Pandy was so wet. My earliest experience of cool was The Woodentops.

13. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Anyone want to borrow my video set of The Singing Ringing Tree, The Tinderbox and Rumpelstiltskin? They, Robin Hood and Robinson Crusoe were recurring staples of my childhood.

People from Wales or the South-West might remember Pied Piper House. "Come with me, Come and see, All the wonders there can be, In my story, In my song and Everywhere that fun belongs. We'll meet heroes, giants bold, Visit lands both hot and cold, Have magic tricks to shiver your skin, Laughs galore and animals in, Our world of fun, Pied Piper House." They used to include Four Feather Falls, Pongo the Pirate and Twizzle.

Casey Jones mounted to the cabin.....

14. Lara mfl 05

I lived ,during the late 50s/early 60s at least. in the Midlands and we had Four Feather Falls.
    The Pied Piper rhyme also seems vaguely familiar.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  15. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Not surprising, it's wonderful - and far more tongue cheek & occasionally political than many realised. Finally got released on DVD last year, after long, long negotiations. Still being shown somewhere around the world!

16. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Muffin the Mule ? I do remember Andy Pandy (Tuesdays) Rag Tag and Bobtail - Thurs, Woodentops - Fri, Picture Book - Mondays ... just seem to have Wednesdays missing......

I remember Champion the Wonder Horse, William Tell, Ivanhoe...... Follyfoot was much later and I remember a friend was obsessed with it...... always a poignant memory for me as he committed suicide as a very young man.
    When my kids were little for me it was... Sesame Street.... and Big Bird.... and Animal :) Loved them :) We taped Barbara Woodhouses Horses and Ponies, The Englishwoman and the Horse, and a cartoon film of Narnia..... all played incessantly. Alas when the girls were older it was Grease and Dirty Dancing and I detested both and still do.

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I remember Torchie (Torchy?) The Battery Boy. Mr jubilee who was born in 1955 and is 18 months my junior has never heard of it (except from me)

18. Lara mfl 05

" Flob-dob-a-lob" (spelling?) & 'Little We.e.e.ed!" might prompt the memory! @HelenREMfan ;)

19. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Forest Rangers.

What was the puppet series with the robot who would "Zet courzze for 'ome?"

Belle and Sebastian, with the weird dubbing!

20. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Belle and Sebastian - always on in the holidays