1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TV help please

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by gergil4, Apr 11, 2019.

1. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

We have a TV in the lounge. I now want to install a TV into the room which backs on to the lounge. How do I go about connecting the TV to work as there is no aerial socket? Do I just get someone round or is there some wonderful wireless contraption which I can use to save drilling holes? Many thanks.

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'll do my best to help, but it isn't a straight-forward question to answer. I'll try to explain why.

Back in the day, when TV signals were picked up by an aerial on your roof, you could get an aerial splitter. This was a box with two or more coaxial outlets which allowed the signal from the aerial to be sent to more than one TV. You'd have just needed to drill a hole through the wall into the next room and run a cable from the splitter to the TV in the next room.

These days, TVs get their signals from all sorts of alternative sources. It isn't common for people to use aerials any longer. For example, we have a variety of devices that connect to the TVs in our home, each of which are receiving their signals via our cable broadband. We used to have satelite TV via a freesat dish, which gave far better reception than we could get from the aerial.

The TV in the lounge gets a signal from a Virginmedia box, which is directly connected to the broadband cable and also from a Now TV box which gets its signal wirelessly from the broadband router. The TV in the bedroom has a Now TV box as well.

I rarely watch the TV these days, but on the few occasions I do, it will be on the computer, always on the iplayer at a time that's convenient for me.

So, it's easy enough to do, but it depends on the TVs. I.e. what signal sources they can accept, whether or not you're prepared to pay for a subscription to access TV online or want to get it for "free" via the aerial on your roof.

4. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Thank you - simple enough for my technosaurus self!

5. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Why don't you try an internet wireless connection?

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I hope it is. You need to think in terms of the Internet of Things, where everything from your toaster, your fridge and washing machine in now being designed to talk to each other via the Interweb.

If you have one of the latest TVs, it will be hoping you'll be integrating it with everything else you own, and in time as you update everything else to the latest standard, they'll be doing without much input from you.

We're in a transition period just now, where some of your stuff is ready to do that, some of your stuff will never be able to and other stuff needs a bit of help via an app you need to download.

Did you know that its possible to see anything you can see on your phone screen on your telly? You don't even need the Interweb for that. It's called screen mirroring, but it goes by other names, depending on the phone. It comes as standard on some modern phones and with others you need to download a app,

I have no idea why, but there are youngsters who watch movies and the like on their phones, because that's how they subscribed to Netflix, or whatever. Their phones talk to the telly, so they can watch the movies properly on a big screen. It does it all wirelessly, just between the phone and the TV.

So to go back to your original question or whether there is a wireless solution, yes there is, but it depends on whether your TVs have is as standard, or whether they are a bit older and need something else to help them do it.

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Now I know what to look for in my new TV. Very helpful.