1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TV dramas

Discussion in 'Personal' started by goonergirl2009, Dec 29, 2010.

1. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Evening! I was hoping for some recommendations of good TV dramas that I can buy on box set. I was looking for crime/ police based dramas. Any ideas? Thank you!

2. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Waking The Dead!

3. West Wing, Damages, Jerhico, Life on Mars, Criminal Minds, Alias, 24, Lost: mostly american in my collection!

4. 24, Prime Suspect, Silent Witness, Spooks and Poirot if you fancy sonething a bit period.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Prime Suspect is the most gripping box set I have ever bought.
    We watched the whole lot over 2 days. Not very cheery but you can't have it all!

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

The Wire - make sure it has subtitles
    The Sopranos - crime family drama?

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The Wire

NYPD Blue

..a tongue in cheek reference to the need for a crash course in gangsta slang? ;-)

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..and not forgetting good old Sherlock Holmes.

9. Both of those but I don't think you need subtitles??

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I need subtitles for most good quality American dramas (West Wing, The Wire, Boston Legal etc). My hearing is not great and the dialogue in such series is often fast and furious and not always quite distinct enough for me. Turning up the volume doesn't help as much as you'd think it might.
    On a daily basis I bless Red Bee and greatly appreciate subtitles on dvds - what a difference they make.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Morse, still excellent stuff.