1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TV despair

Discussion in 'Personal' started by The Inca, Jul 17, 2012.

1. I very rarely (meaning never) post here, but read frequently and know that you lot can offer very useful advice.
    I am quite in despair over the TV wiring in my new house. I have just moved into a newly renovated house, and there are TV aerial wires sticking out of the wall all over the place!
    I have just got round to buying a new TV, but the aerial wires sticking out the wall do not fit into the back of theTV. I think (because a VirginMedia man who came to connect my internet told me) that I am wired for Sky. There's no dish on the roof though....
    I have no intention of paying for Sky TV, and all I really want are the normal freeview channels.
    So, what do I have to do to enable me to watch TV? Reading some articles online suggest I'll need a whole new aerial, but I can't bear the thought of even more outlays of money, and everything I read online is so complex that I'm beginning to lose the will to live.
    I would be really grateful if someone could explain, very simply and using no technical jargon, what I will need to do to the (possibly Sky) aerial wire sticking out the wall to enable it to be plugged into the back of my new TV so that I can watch the bog standard channels?!
    Thank you so much!

2. I very rarely (meaning never) post here, but read frequently and know that you lot can offer very useful advice.
    I am quite in despair over the TV wiring in my new house. I have just moved into a newly renovated house, and there are TV aerial wires sticking out of the wall all over the place!
    I have just got round to buying a new TV, but the aerial wires sticking out the wall do not fit into the back of theTV. I think (because a VirginMedia man who came to connect my internet told me) that I am wired for Sky. There's no dish on the roof though....
    I have no intention of paying for Sky TV, and all I really want are the normal freeview channels.
    So, what do I have to do to enable me to watch TV? Reading some articles online suggest I'll need a whole new aerial, but I can't bear the thought of even more outlays of money, and everything I read online is so complex that I'm beginning to lose the will to live.
    I would be really grateful if someone could explain, very simply and using no technical jargon, what I will need to do to the (possibly Sky) aerial wire sticking out the wall to enable it to be plugged into the back of my new TV so that I can watch the bog standard channels?!
    Thank you so much!

3. Sorry, I have no idea, being a bit of a technophobe myself.
    I have a telly that must be the oldest working model in the country, but the nice man from Virgin still managed to connect it up, despite no scart plug etc so a freeview box must be poss too (?)
    Hopefully someone with a bit of technical nouse will be along to advise properly!

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

you can plug into an interior ariel if you have one
    or call an sariel guy and ask him to check which wire lets the tv see the programmes.
    You could got arond pluggin in each ariel lead.
    If they are all sky cooxial you wil need the ariel man to fit a new mast and drop a new lead down into the place where you want the tv

5. Try this from Argos for an indoor aerial if you have a good signal - not much use if your signal is rubbish though.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9004272/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/2|14419512|Television+aerials+and+boosters|14419536/Trail/searchtext%3ETV.htm

I've got one on my little TV which has Freeview built in. If your new TV has Freeview built in as well, as most have now, then it should find the stations automatically when you follow the onscreen setup instructions - check your manual.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Welcome to TES, The.
    Six years of lurking, eh?

7. Yes, told you I lurk more than post! Originally joined TES when doing my PGCE - just finished my fifth year of teaching. Read regularly though....
    Thanks for all the help so far on the TV debarcle. I struggle so much with modern technology, it's ridiculous especially given that I'm still in my twenties. TV/internet/phones/mobiles - it all just goes straight over my head. I think my options are a new "normal" aerial on the roof, admit defeat and pay for Sky, buy an internal aerial, don't watch TV. None of these particularly appeal!

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As suggested above, get an indoor aerial with a built-in signal booster and see how you go.

The existing aerial cable is of no use unless there's some sort of antenna on the top end of it.

If it's set up for satellite, the cable may have an 'F' connector on it, like this:

[​IMG]

Rather than the older Co-Axial connector like this:

[​IMG]

It's possible to replace the former with the latter, but you still need something at the top end of the cable. A cheaper longer term option than having someone scrambling around on your roof is to fit a digital loft aerial and link the existing cable to it if possible. Prices vary.

9. Aha, I have two of those "F" things coming out of each TV socket. I think I'm beginning to grasp some of the lingo..! Why do I have two?
    What if I went for something like Freesat for Sky? Would that be straightforward and avoid too much roof scrambling or wall drilling?
    Thanks for info on digital loft aerial - I'll look into that.

10. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

In reality you have 3 main options

1) virgin/sky cable TV.
    2) A new aerial being put up in the loft, will require a wire running down to your main TV.
    3) Buying a Desk top Aerial, no need for drilling etc, (think back to the days when we could use a metal coat hanger to get a signal in the pre digital days) You might have to buy a booster (plugs into a power socket) to help get digital.

Of course 2 + 3 will require some kind of free view box/TV to work

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Has your area gone digital yet?
    I'd have thought you would need some kind of set top box. And an aerial to connect it to.
    From my experience - indoor aerials with boosters are not very good.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Freesat - I had that in an old house. Presume you just need a dish and a satellite connection. Freesat is simple to set up - but you don't get Dave :) So no QI.

13. So, if you have a loft (sounds as if you probably do) then that seems the best place to stick your aerial. I would look in your local yellow pages or thompson directory or local free newspaper to see if you can get someone to install one for you. Failing that, whereabouts do you live? Maybe some kind TES type person might be able to help you out for a reasonable fee - using the PM facility! It's a one off cost and will save you a lot of anxiety. I have a roof aerial which is great most of the time but every so often it falls over because it has never been properly installed and is just sort of propped up.