1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TV Crime Drama

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by mediadave, Nov 24, 2011.

1. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

Just wondering if other people have started teaching this yet. We're still finishing off magazines for assignment 3 - were supposed to be doing crime drama after HT but have been delayed. A bit worried that starting it after Christmas isn't going to give us enough time...

2. After Christmas - am currently teaching Year 10 and doing Unit 1 first - so they will take the exam on TV Crime Drama in June 2012. Covering Key Concepts at the mo.

3. I'm starting in the New Year. My intention however for their Christmas homework is to encourage them to watch some TV Crime Drama. I intend to scour through the Christmas/New Year TV Times and note down whenever there is something TV Crime Drama on and give them a timetable of viewing times. I will tell them they much watch at least 5 different types and comment upon them. I will be willing to share, or if someone has already done this - please let me know!

4. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Looks like we will finish Assignment Three third week back from Xmas hols and I intednt to start introducing the genre then.
    Loving the idea of a timetable of shows and insturctions for homework.
    Liz

5. Mine are behind - only started assignment 3 about 3 weeks ago and they're on mock exams now until the end of term. They had supply teachers in year 10 so fell behind as much as I tried to intervene!
    Have told mine they MUST start watching them. Crazysuzy, if you are willing to share your Christmas homework that would be hugely helpful. Why not put it in the resource section, then you don't need to keep emailing it to people.

6. Have now uploaded this as a resource.

7. lizgaskell

Thanks Suzy- but I can't find it?

Might be just me; I'm shattered and have no glasses[​IMG] on!
    liz

8. https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Analyse-3-TV-Crime-Dramas-using-MIGRAIN-anology-6148768/

9. lizgaskell

Found it!

This is super. Well done and thanks.
    Liz

10. Thanks crazysuzy - really useful!

11. I'm getting into this TV Crime Drama thing now - and have started watching! Came across this blog about new TV Crime Dramas for 2012 http://www.crimetimepreview.com/2011/10/new-tv-crime-dramas-2012.html

12. Mine are loving it in a calm and quiet way. We've analysed the title sequences of Silent Witness, Sherlock and Life on Mars. I get the kids into it by watching a couple of whole episodes with a specific focus (how are the police represented? Is the programme how you thought it would be from the trailer? That kind of thing) and they seem really keen.
    If you're anywhere near Newcastle, it might be interesting to watch the titles of 'Spender' (1991? Jimmy Nail detective show). The first few were written by Ian la Frenais. We're going to plan a relaunch of Spender in the light of new representations of the north east and the different representations of the police/forensics/psychologists. If any of the kids cast Joe McElderry, there'll be bother!

13. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

There's a revision app in the App Store for this topic: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gcse-media-studies-tv-crime/id493869414?ls=1&mt=8

14. I have this and it is absolutely fabulous! Everything you need as an app on your iPhone/iPad!

15. There is some amazing things here. Thank you all ever so much for sharing.

How is everyone getting on with this? I am only able to star this week with crime dama. Bit worried.

16. I'm wanting to do some practice questions for task 1 with the students this week. Having looked at the last two year's exam papers, they are really similar and I'm wondering if its too presumptious to think they are likely to be the same again.
    Task 1 seems to be all about what makes a film/show popular, 2 the pitch, 3 the explanation and 4 the practical.
    Last year I felt like all the time we spent on representation was a bit of a waste as it didn't really fit in so I'm not going to spend quite so long on that I don't think as our students get that quite well. Anyone done a mock yet? If so, what task 1 question did you do?

17. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

I would go with task 1: explain the appeal of crime drama. Task 2: some people think crime drama is old/boring/sexist, how far do you agree? Task 3: pitch your show. Task 4: evaluate your pitch

Task 3 could be anything from a pitch to a storyboard to a script but I think you need that plus an evaluation task.

I think it's important to have something like task 2 above where students can debate an assertion.

18. Just came across this... love it and will certainly be playing in to my groups this week for a laugh.

I'm going to be stopping it before the last minute though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5wil_unDjw

:)