1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TV brand recommendations please & best TV prices?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Feb 10, 2012.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hello everyone
    John Lewis has just turned down our price match request for a 46 inch Sony television. It was £200 cheaper elsewhere but they refused on the grounds that the cheaper store isn't local to us. To explain, I usually buy (price matched) electrical goods from JL as they offer a free 5 year warranty.
    Anyway, has anyone seen any good TV deals lately? This is something that Mr Tarte really doesn't mind splashing out on. Priorities, eh? [​IMG]
    No Samsungs please. Our Samsung, which was expensive, is kaputt after only 3 years.
    Many thanks and have a lovely weekend [​IMG]

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

LG came recommended at the store we went to - Richer Sounds. JL were useless - having ordered online because of the warranty, they then messed about so much we cancelled. Five year warranty on the LG.

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

We have LG too, also from Richer Sounds as they offer a good cheap warranty.

4. We've a Sony Bravia too. No problems and love it.

5. Why don't you look for a store which is closer to JL to be classed as local.
    JL are the best for buying electronics from.

6. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

LG is the way Goldstar handed being put in speciall measures :)

By that I mean it is simply the re-brand name of one the worst Korean companies ever -Goldstar. Man, their sh-ite was cheap and ****. BUT......most Korean stuff is good, if not brilliant nowadays and an LG tv should be adequate. Samsung were also considered rubbish back yonder yet now ask and get silly money for their prouducts.

Also, remember that today most of the picture quality depends on the signal and how you get it. I noticed massive differences when our Panasonic was linked up to Virgin Media's box, or the Freeview aerial. Surprisingly, the Freeview aerial was much sharper and clearer a picture, even with both units set to the same levels.

7. We have had loads of problems with our Samsung which freezes on a channel so that you can't change channel, put the text on or put the TV guide on. We constantly have to switch it on and off and it's a real hassle as we tend to rely on programme timers and if the TV freezes the timers don't work. On the other hand I have a little LG TV upstairs that I've had for over 10 years and still works perfectly. I'm sure John Lewis would give you good advise if you ask them.