1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutors for Greater London

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Oct 5, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Can you help Please:)
    I was looking at their advert for tutors but it says little other than one is working with premium children and one can sort of pick ones own time and place.
    What exactly does that term mean..i assume it is not premium as in the best, rather those more needful?
    Secondly I have to apply online.........yet one of the things they ask for is date of birth and sex.I thought this was not to be in application forms anymore?
    Then they want to see all relevant documentation as a teacher along with a passport.Jeez its over 20 years since i last saw them. Sound like a lot of work to find them in this house..but can be done.....would that be just teaching certificates and degrees or any document that might be deemed relevant to teaching children.
    Finally, has any one worked in this capacity and be willing to share of their experiences please.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Does that mean working with pupils who qualify for "pupil premium" funding? I have friends who have done this and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't help much beyond that Olds.

3. oldsomeman

Yes Bombay i did assume that might be it.
    Actually small group work can be rewarding yet also hard work.

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Dob and gender should not be required in standard application forms. It should be on the Equality Monitoring form and you can decline to answer.

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

You'll need a DBS certificate, too.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Definitely pupil premium.

There must be people who don't have a passport and wouldn't want to fork out for one for no other purpose than to provide ID, especially if you have a photo driving licence, which most do.

Date of birth and gender are definitely irrelevant. I wouldn't know where to find my paperwork. Never been asked to provide them when applying for posts, but I guess this is different olds!

7. oldsomeman

i just remember a thread once on here in which the issues of date of birth and gender where discussed.I am not worried about reveling my age as length of experience must show you have been around for a long time. Although its illegal to fail an application based upon age or gender i did wonder if it was a 'sorting' system used to make sure come folk do not get called to interview?
    Bit like agencies which reject online applicants based upon such features and constraints.
    Just showing my qualifications would indicate age anyway....but its the unanswered questions and criteria which interest me.

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I responded to a similar sort of add, which turned out to be tutoring students excluded from school, in a library in Brent, for £10 per hour.

9. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Similar experience the ad said up to £25 an hour which was very appealing. Went for an informal chat and it turned out that to get that much an hour you had to almost take on the role of foster parent: organising day trips etc and then claiming back travel expenses at the end of the month. Also wanted applicants to register as self-employed.

10. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Current safer recruitment guidance means that the majority of schools will expect to see evidence of qualifications which includes evidence of achieving QTS in maintained schools. I believe a birth certificate suffices if you do not have a passport.

11. oldsomeman

For myself snowyhead the qualifications is not the problem. or proving place of birth.
    Firstly there is little info of the work involved.ie no job spec or wages.
    Secondly the need to apply online wanting ages and sex.not a problem in a way but they do not seem to be following modern methods or recruitment
    Thirdly how far and wide do these contact go.i would hate to travel for an hour on the tube to see one child for say an hour.

12. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Have you given up the supply work olds?

13. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

That sounds very similar. Working with students that had been excluded was very frustrating. Working in a library was far from ideal, especially for those who could not concentrate. If they did not turn up, you didn't get paid, and lessons were only singles, so hardly worthwhile taking travelling costs into consideration. The amount of online paperwork required took longer than teaching the student, too.

14. oldsomeman

No it seems to have given me up,just dumped after 8 years with not even a thank you.I wasn't expecting a party but a thank you would have been nice......mind you Capita has been going down the Swanee recently. I am probably too old for their books.

Richie Millions likes this.