1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring

Discussion in 'Science' started by stusing100, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Hi guys
    I am considering providing some extra GCSE Science
    tutition for a student from a nearby school and I was wondering how
    much colleagues on here charge for 1 hour sessions?
    Thanks in anticipation of your replies

2. I charge £20 an hour in NW England - but this is below market rate ... I think up to ~ £25. I think you might be in South London / Surrey - where I would expect the going rate to be a little higher There is a "Tutors" forum, where you might get better information

3. I'm tutoring a lad A level physics at the moment and I charge £20 per hour (but only because I tutored his brother a few years ago). If was to take on anyone new I'd charge £20 for GCSE and £25 for A-level.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There was an article in the SundayTimes this weekend (sorry no link as you have to pay to see the dirty digger's online papers) about a tutor pulling in over 50k per year tutoring kids for 11 plus, GCSEs and A levels.

5. London rates are higher - up to £50 for an hour of A level (but that includes all the preparation & the pupil will be set homework, which you then have to go through). More like £30 for GCSE.

6. Sorry - forgot to add. The above rates for Physics or Maths. Don't know about other subjects.

7. I charge £20 per hour for GCSE currently (South Bucks area) but this is definitely CHEAP. If I have to tutor next academic year (fingers crossed I'll find a job instead) then I'll be charging £25. And my A Level price will go up by £5 to £30 too. I do GCSE English, Maths on an as-needed basis with clients that I already have for GCSE Science, Chem, Bio, Physics, and also Chem and Bio A Level.