1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring year 6 child - help!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by chocoholic1, Jan 21, 2010.

1. chocoholic1

chocoholic1 New commenter

I, rather stupidly, agreed to tutor a year 6 child. It then dawned on me I have no idea about the year 6 curriculum (I've never taught higher than year 3). I was going to start with looking at a past paper, (maths and English) and work from there, but other than that, I've no idea what I'm going to do.
    Help please - any useful websites or resources that you would recommend?

2. richfruitcake

richfruitcake New commenter

I find mself in the same situation. How did you go about the tutoring. I have e-mailed the teacher but got no response other than levels for maths, reading and writing.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Use APP to work out where they are. Use your teaching expertise to take them onwards. Plenty of resources, expectations etc on the Framework site.
    What did you expect the teacher to do?

4. richfruitcake

Thanks yes I have looked at the APP framework. I was hoping that the teacher would tell me of any particular gaps that the child had. Of course I can assess this myself but with only one hour a week I felt that if the teacher gave me a little background info about specific needs I could save time and give the best input and help to the child as quickly as possible. The child's present targets would be a good start.
    I am not citicising the teacher as I know how busy he/she must be but if a County has awarded a child one hour a week 1:1 tuition then some paperwork must have been completed to prove the necessity and it would be useful if that was shared with the tutor.

5. richfruitcake

Thank you Brunette that all sounds really useful. I will have a good look over the weekend. My experience of APP (though I have been supplying for eighteen months so it might have changed) is that you cannot really use APP for assessment in Literacy without a lot of evidence.
    I am giving 30 mins Literacy and 30 mins Maths for one 1:1 session a week for twelve weeks. I am not trying to be lazy but if I spend the whole time assessing it does not leave much time to really get on with the tutoring. I want to give this child the best help I can. I have had no guidance or tuition guidelines at all. However, having had two sessions with the child now I feel more confident in going with my gut instincts of where the gaps are. I shall concentrate on building the childs self esteem and using resources to make the sessions fun and as helpful as possible for the child. The child is very good at saying "I don't know" when I ask him/her anything. It appears to be a defence mechanism and he/she is much more able than they realise.

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

It isn't your fault, but I am surprised that they have asked you to tutor something you say you have little knowledge of?
    Also, I thought the one-to-one was ending? I am so annoyed, it should have been a fantastic thing for children, but it seems as if it's been implemented very badly. Anyone wish to comment on that?

7. richfruitcake

I understand your question and do not take offence. To clarify I am a fully qualified teacher who would be on maximum mainscale if I worked for an LEA. Therefore I am perfectly able to tutor. I have registered an interest with my LEA for tutor training but none was forthcoming. While I accept that training should possibly be given, I am far more qualified to tutor than a TA or cover supervisor is to take a full class. As someone who is claiming JSA as there is not enough supply work in my area (particularly over the Easter and bank holiday period) I was duty bound to accept this assignment.