1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring Y5 boy maths - what could I use to assess?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Jul 9, 2011.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Hi,
    I have started to do some private tutoring and for the first time I am tutoring maths with a Y5 boy. All mum tells me is he is not confident, and is trailling behind his peers.
    What would you use to assess his strengths and gaps/misconcpetions etc? I was thinking of maybe an old SATs paper, but didn't really want to start off by sitting him through a 'test' if you know what I mean. Another thought was to pick out the key objectives from Y3/4 and see if I can assess him this way.
    Any other ideas?

2. Ask him what he struggles with at school, he will probably be well aware of his weaknesses.

3. I would maybe make a board game and when either of you land on certain squares you have to answer a question (You could use the test questions below just cut them up and make them into cards.) Any cards he struggles with put to one start and use that a s a starting point. I use to use this with a girl I worked with at the end of a session when she was tired and needed a bit of motivation. She did not realise the questions were a work sheet in disguise.

http://www.wiganschoolsonline.net/curriculum/maths/blockassess.shtm The have mental maths questions as well. OR you could use test base. Hope this helps RLBxxx

4. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Wow! A really great idea, thanks so much!

5. Why don't you try something like this to start - It has covered more or less everything number wise. It will show you where the gaps are and it starts very basic and gets more complex so you will clearly see where he can get to easily be himself and when he starts to struggle you will know this is your starting point. I tutored a year 5 pupil before - don't be tempted to use full SATs papers as if the school will be using them to assess him next year he will have seen all the questions!!! Use the odd questions to reinforce your teaching [​IMG]

6. Great idea to make it a game!!! I would start with the basic though as this will allow you to spot all the gaps no point in teaching fractions if they cant partition etc!
    Game idea is great though - I think I will be using that in September with my new class!

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Try some KO assessment tests available for free online, or those form your school. CLEO used to have some available, but I think their website changed. Try a google search.

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

There's this thing he usually uses which is a pretty good resource to assess with.

It's called his teacher!
    [​IMG]

9. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

10. I agree - I wouldn't expect the child to sit it as a test. I would give them parts of it to do each session and when a gap is obvious I would then teach what skills they need from there. However I would expect a child at the end of year 5 to be able to complete 70% of that activity