1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring -Y3 pupil

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EBC, May 14, 2011.

1. EBC

EBC New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm currently on maternity leave and have advertised and managed to get one year 3 boy to tutor. I have done some tutoring in the past but whilst I was at school so was able to photocopy work, pop to the year group class and check out resources.
    I don't teach year 3.
    The problem I'm having is I don't know what to teach him and when. I have looked at the school's curriculum plan but that only gives topics. I have assessed him as far as reading, maths and writing goes and can simply see that he just needs a little support to keep up- no major issues.
    I look online to get spelling list and mental maths questions but then I get stuck. What can I do with him that will help. Where can I find ideas and resources when I don't know what they do in class?
    Any advice would be helpful.

2. Writing and Maths - primaryresources.com
    I am tutoring Year 3 pupils for English but have some targets set by their teacher, e.g. using adjectives, nouns and verbs for effect on the reader, using paragraphs to sequence ideas etc. Also, have you looked at APP grids for writing and maths? This will often give you targets for the next level up which you can work on if they're not quite there.