1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tutoring writing to reluctant young child

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by coaltown1, Jun 9, 2011.

1. coaltown1

coaltown1 New commenter

So alone!
    So very alone!!
    [​IMG]

2. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Occasional commenter

I am sorry you feel so alone!

My contribution is very limited, as I am secondary trained but have worked a lot in JMI and special needs. In one infant school as a class teacher I was instrumental in getting one pupil statemented so that extra resources and teaching assistance could be provided.

In my private tuition now I find some parents do not like to be told that their child may be SN, but I strongly advise them to consult with their school for this to be investigated. Far too many children are not attended to in their early years, leaving them continually behind.

As far as your own work with this child, you must build up total confidence and enjoyment in him for your lessons, even if you appear to be overly friendly by playing lots of games. One-to-one this should not be too difficult, and report back to the parents every little concern you come across whilst working with him.

Not being trained nor qualified in this work, I might prompt others to respond!

3. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Occasional commenter

4. Reading your post I just wondered whether this little lad can see any purpose for himself in writing? May be you've already done work on this - forgive me if so...but many small children would, of course, far rather be doing more practical things, physical, large scale and energetic in nature. If you could help him to see the value of writing things within that context e.g. a game where he writes a word, takes it as a message and gets an immediate reward: 'red' gets him the red cars/bricks/paint or single word instructions which when he reads them will cause you to do the action 'hop', 'skip', 'stop' You get the gist. Anything so that the direct relationship between words their meaning and purpose can become real to him. Words = power to make things happen when I read them and when I write them. It benefits me to read and write. Just a sleepy, Friday night thought....

5. coaltown1

coaltown1 New commenter

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate them.
    Maths - I do actually feel too that he is SN and will approach the parents gently and plant the seeds.He was seen by a psychologist in Nursery but at this point I'm unsure of the outcome or what has happened in P1 regarding this. It's good to get another's perspective on this.
    CK - you have given me some good ideas which I shall try out when I see him tomorrow. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees and both your comments have helped and given me a way forward.
    [​IMG]