1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring while on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by nurserynqt, Sep 23, 2018.

1. nurserynqt

nurserynqt New commenter

Hi
    I have been on maternity leave since February and planned to go back to work part time in January. Unfortunately school have refused my request so I am handing in my notice in October to finish my contract in December. I will receive my last pay in October and maternity money is very tight! Therefore I have made enquiries about joining a tutoring agency - is this allowed? I would want to start tutoring ASAP and then continue after Christmas once my contract has finished. Thanks!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The best thing would be to ask your school, as there are sometimes rules about working for another employer whilst on maternity leave - obviously it would be unreasonable to be taking paid maternity leave from one job and working at a new job, but it would be rather vindictive of a school to care about what you do once they stop paying you.
    (I had two concurrent jobs when I went on maternity leave - it was incredibly difficult to pin them down on whether I could return to one job before the other. Neither employer seemed to be sure, but HMRC confirmed that it was up to the employers.)