1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring when you no longer teach

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Katie777, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

I enjoy tutoring and currently do a few hours as well as a part time teaching job. I am giving up my part time teaching job but I am quite a long way from being able to make a living as a tutor. I am considering a part time job, perhaps a support role in a school, in addition to tutoring. I am also investigating some tuition centre work but nor sure if anything will come of it...
    Do any of you tutor and not teach? Has anyone been out of the classroom for many years and still making a decent living as a tutor? How do you keep on top of changes? Do parents have concerns about you not being a current teacher?
    My other option is supply and tutoring, there is work in my area. I am not convinced however, don't enjoy 30:1! I would love to know whether no teaching at all is a viable option :)

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I left teaching about four years ago.
    I teach languages to adults as well as children of school age.
    I make enough to live off, however, this is different for everyone....I do not have kids or a mortgage but I do work in the daytime as well as in the evening, probably more so than if I only taught, say primary where the bulk of the work is after school.
    Work out your finances, how much you need to live off and see what the going rate is in your area and work out how many hours you would need to work to support yourself without going back to the classroom. Work out whether you need to have a cancellation policy so that you have a contingency plan for last minute cancellations, it happens, people get sick etc
    It has never been a concern to anyone that I am no longer in the classroom.

3. Ian1983

Ian1983 Occasional commenter

I enjoy tutoring and currently do a few hours as well as a part time teaching job. I am giving up my part time teaching job but I am quite a long way from being able to make a living as a tutor.

If I were you, I'd build up the tutoring as much as possible now (blitz the advertising etc) and then if you do want to quit your teaching job, you can do so with much more confidence that you can make a good living (rather than the uncertainty that you have at the moment)

Do any of you tutor and not teach?

Yes. I did the same as you last year though - taught part time in a secondary school, so relatively recent

How do you keep on top of changes?

Keep in touch with ex colleagues etc

Do parents have concerns about you not being a current teacher?

They keep booking me for lessons so presumably not!

4. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

I've never been a 'proper' teacher. I have a maths degree and an ability to explain things in a way that children understand and 27 years of experience of tutoring. Parents are more interested in ease of getting to me for lessons sometimes than my qualifications which is a little worrying. I keep up to date via the internet. There's only so much you can do in an hour a week and the basics don't change much in maths.

lilymay23 likes this.
  5. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

Thanks for your replies. I am leaving my job at Easter. It was time to go, ready or not! I will either do a bit of supply and hope that I can at some point build up enough tuition work to drop the supply or I will get a p/t job to supplement my tutoring long term. I am used to a part time wage so don't need too much. Either way I am better off :)

Skillsheets, do you find parents are quite happy to come to you on the whole? I don't have a car and don't like driving so I do ask them to come to me but it does put some people off. I live in a small but very affluent town and there is a good local market. If I could advertise at my school I would have lots of work! I tutor children in two local schools now and their parents are very happy so word of mouth should start to help me.

6. lilymay23

lilymay23 New commenter

I like what Skillsheet says. I often remark that I'm still teaching the same geometry the little Greek boys learnt 300o years ago, and that things have got better for girls since then. I was asked once in the classroom for a more 'old-fashioned' style, and I said mine was Socratic, and you can't get much older than that. I've given up the day job, but I can find out all I need online - the exam boards all have excellent sites, and KS1 and KS2 stuff is easily accessible. As for not being in a classroom, when one reads the threads of issues classroom teachers face, one realises we are far more free to be creative and imaginative in our learning and teaching. All the best in the new role.

7. EllieP19

EllieP19 New commenter

I too am finishing full time teaching at the end of August and looking to begin tutoring. I know it takes time to build up a number of pupils, but I believe it will be far more rewarding and less stressful than being a full time teacher and deputy head. Good luck

Skillsheets likes this.
  8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If you tutor in your own home, you need to inform your insurance company as you are now running a business there. We got away with no extra premium for 2 pupils.

9. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I informed my insurance and I do not think I actually pay any more (uness I just got a deal) but they do need to know. Standard insurance covers you for something like 2 or 3 pupils coming to your house each week and I have more than that. comparing what I pay now to what I used to pay before i was self employed I don't think there is much in it. Don't forget to tell your car insurance as well