1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring Rates

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Ella2016, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Ella2016

Ella2016 New commenter

Hi all,

At Christmas I am moving jobs and dropping to a lower TLR. I hope to start tutoring to earn some extra income and I am trying to work out what is reasonable to charge. I will be moving to a small (quite deprived) town up North. My subject is Maths.

I was thinking of charging £20 for KS3, £25 for KS4 and £30 for KS5 for in person tutoring where they come to me – is this reasonable?

I also looked into online tutoring however the sites I considered signing up with pay £25 – 28 an hour yet charge students £45 - £60. Is this normal for online tutoring to pay tutors much less than students pay?

I look forward to any wisdom! I have done a bit of googling (and may be missing the obvious) but can’t easily find these answers!

2. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

I would shift your rates up to starting at £25. As an experienced and qualified teacher in a sought-after subject this would be more appropriate. I understand it’s a deprived area, but you can always fine tune. It’s a lot easier to reduce rates than increase them, and those £5 quickly add up.

3. NoSuchThingAsNormal

NoSuchThingAsNormal New commenter

I agree with theluckycat, It is easier to put up rates for new students than up them for existing ones. Start at £25 or £30. I make no distinction between KS3 & KS4. I tutor maths, live in a large village and students come to me. Rates for new starters £30 up to GCSE & £40 for A level. I have some students on lower rates who have been with me some time. For 10 students, £5 a week over a year of ~40 weeks is £2K.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. ladyofrohan

ladyofrohan New commenter

I charge £20 for KS2 (but don't get many) and £25 for KS3/4/adults and I'm in the North too.

5. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I charge the same amount for KS3 & 4. With the change to 9-1 syllabus for GCSE, many schools do start GCSE work in Y9, so this makes it more straightforward.

6. successfullearner

successfullearner New commenter

Hi Ella
    Hope I’m not too late? I agree with posters who have suggested £25 - you must not undervalue your knowledge and expertise. My son tutors maths and sciences in London and I have private music pupils in central Scotland. My pupils come to me and that is so convenient. Make sure your PVG is current and you have any insurance required. I do understand about deprived areas and I have found that small group lesson(s) works very well in some instances. It may not work for your particular pupils but nothing ventured and all that!
    I’m sure you will enjoy this new challenge and wonder why you didn’t do it sooner !!
    Good luck !

sophia1 likes this.
  7. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

When I tutored GCSE I charged the same as for A-level. The way I look at it is that students are paying for my time, which is exactly the same whatever I'm tutoring, as I don't do any preparation at all. Actually, the no preparation is a bit tongue in check as I read a lot of maths, chemistry and physics for fun.

A good way to decide what to charge is to see what others (who are properly qualified) on the tutoring websites are charging. Here, in Enfield, I charge £30, which is probably a bit on the low side as students have to come to me. On this point, never under estimate the laziness of your typical British student. In my experience the majority really do expect to be spoon fed and have the tutor come to them. I really would die laughing if every student in England was forced to do I.B. Diploma instead of A-level: then they would realise what hard work was.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. Kasia1977

Kasia1977 New commenter

Can I ask which websites you suggest advertising on?
    I teach maths KS3-KS5 on the South Coast. I have advertised on First tutors and Tutor hunt. I have gained 3 students with tutor hunt, no students with First tutors (nor have I had any responses with them), and I've been with them for about 10 weeks and 4 weeks respectively. I thought I'd have had lots of interest as I'm experienced and charge £30/hr, which seems reasonable to me.

9. jessicah57250

jessicah57250 New commenter

keep it up your work but keep in mind that your service should be better than online tutoring.

10. alarge77

alarge77 New commenter

Have you had any positive feedback on the First Tutors' website from your clients yet? I found that I needed to get this before clients started to filter through.

11. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I found that Tutor Hunt was the only site from which I got any clients.

12. Kasia1977

Kasia1977 New commenter

Ah, thanks - no, I haven't had any clients through them yet, so no feedback at all, I'll be patient then!

13. cluruk

cluruk New commenter

I realise his thread started a year ago and I am really wanting to see if you all have advice as to proving structure now. I’m planning to start tutoring and phase out of teaching. I plan to charge £30 per hour for one student then £40 for two and £50 for up to three children. Primary age.

Does this sound about right!?

How do you find tutoring in comparison to teaching?

Thanks

14. roberwilson_01

roberwilson_01 New commenter

Being a tutor you can charge £20 KS3, £25 for KS4 and i think it is quiet reasonable. I know the tutors who charge £30 for these classes. But if you are tutoring for the first time then you must start with the lower amount.

15. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

When I gave private tuition, I knew that my students, studying their subject at the same level, would find it hard to pay. I therefore offered small group tuition, provided they paid for 6 weeks in advance, because each student was contributing to the lesson. Paying in advance meant, also, that the students put their lesson before invitations out etc. It worked out really well. I was paid and they enjoyed working in a small group of 3 or 4.

16. Deirds likes this.