1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by ksc6, Oct 14, 2019.

1. ksc6

ksc6 New commenter

Does anyone know if I can do tutoring during my maternity leave without invalidating it? I do some work currently (as a contractor) for a company that tutors prospective trainee teachers to get their knowledge/understanding up to scratch before they start their ITT course. I’d planned to carry on with this for a bit of pocket money during mat leave from my full time teaching job but worrying if it’s ‘against the rules’? Can anyone advise?

Thanks

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I had multiple jobs when I went on maternity leave, and spent ages trying to get answers on this one. As far as I could make out, it was okay to return from maternity leave to the jobs at different times, provided their maternity leave policy didn't ban it. Some say "you may no do work for your employer, except KIT days, during the leave", but some leave out the "for your employer" (but this may just be because they haven't thought of people having more than one job). My employers seemed unable to provide an answer to the question, but having ascertained that HMRC didn't care, I decided in that case I'd just do it. However as I suspect your school may become aware if you are doing the contractor work, it may be sense to run it past HR, perhaps making sure they know that you won't be taking advantage by doing any more than usual.

https://www.freeagent.com/guides/small-business/maternity-pay-leave-self-employed-mothers/
    seems to confirm that (although I know nothing about the source).