1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring - more money, no planning, less hours and zero stress

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bignosegringo, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Hi Bad Teacher,

Are you still keen on getting signed up? Our company name has changed to Family Tutors.
    The site will be ready in a couple of weeks if you want to register.

2. Hi Robyn147
    Would you be interested in registering on our site? Our name has changed to Family Tutors. It will be ready in a couple of weeks.

3. Hi Mister Flibble
    Would you be interested in registering on our website for tutoring work? The name has changed from Early Bird Tutors to Family Tutors.

4. Hi Angelfish,
    Are you still interested in registering on our site? Our name has since changed from Early Bird Tutors to Family Tutors.
    Thanks

5. Hi Gtturbo,
    It's nice to read your post. It sounds like we lead similar lives. I've been tutoring for a couple of years now from KS2 to GCSE and love it. I make pretty good money and level of stress is considerable reduced.
    I get the impression you've got a steady stream of enquiries but would you be interested in registering on our website when it's ready. The name has since changed from Early Bird Tutors to Family Tutors.
    Thanks

6. Hi
    Sorry for late reply.
    I think it's unrealistic to tutor full time whilst you are doing your PGCE. It would be good to do a couple of hours of tutoring so that you get a feel for teaching.
    If you are interested in tutoring, I suggest you do it once you've finished your PGCE. We are setting up a website, Family Tutors. Shall I send you the link in a couple of weeks?

7. Hi
    I'm sorry for the late response.
    Sure, I'd be happy to help. There are few websites out there. The best one is The Tutorpages. I've been advertising on there and getting plenty of work. First Tutors and UK Tutors are also worth a try.
    You can also advertise with agencies. I personally prefer to get enquiries via the websites as you are in control of who you tutor and who you don't. You can set your own terms etc.
    If you've got specific questions, then please feel free to ask and I'd be happy to help.
    Would you be interested in registering on our website, Family Tutors in a couple of weeks?

8. Hi Heidi
    Sorry for the late response.
    Are you still interested in tutoring? Our website, Family Tutors (not Early Bird Tutors anymore) will be ready in a couple of weeks.

9. Hi Eaganbe,
    Thanks for message. Sorry for late reply.
    I would be interested in getting you registered on our site. I'm surprised you haven't been able to find tutoring work. The best place to start is on the web. Our site Family Tutors (not Early Bird Tutors any more) will be ready soon.

10. Hi Euphonius,
    It would be great to get you registered in a couple of weeks. Are you still interested in registering on our site?

11. Hi Innani,
    I certainly agree there are downsides to tutoring, like in any job.
    1. I find that it is a good earner if you become an expert in your field and charge a premium price. I tend to try to tutor children who live near one another, therefore reducing my travel. It's true that I do a lot of travelling, but as time goes by I have been able to reduce this.
    2. As it is hyperseasonal, you can take holidays when you get less work. I have holidays at xmas and in the summer hols.
    3. I don't find that it is such a narrow demographic. Maybe, it's because I am in London.
    4. I don't find that I have to be cheerful in every class. I think it can be exhausting for the children if we are always exciting. They have had a long day so it's okay if it's just a relaxed class.
    I love tutoring. I'm also not in it for the money but because I work hard I expect to be compensated accordingly. As a teacher in a school, if you work out how many hours you actually work I think you'll find that it might be lower than 10 an hour. It's true, teachers get a good pension so in this regard yes, they might be better off.

12. Hi Kentish lass,
    I certainly agree that tutoring can have a negative impact on a child's life. I think you need a lot of experience as a tutor to ensure it does not. On the upside, I've seen that tutoring can have enormous benefits for some children.
    One of my boys in question is gifted and talented and he is very frustrated at home and school because he is not being challenged enough at school. In this boy's case I would say he is not your typical G and T boy either, he's exceptionally good at maths and well, I can imagine it being quite frustrating being taught stuff which is a couple of years below your year. I think whilst tutoring might not be right for all kids, equally school might not be adequate for all kids. Whilst teachers do their best to account for all children's learning needs and abilities, it would require a lot of experience and subject knowledge to push the really able ones in a classroom setting.

13. Hi
    The website will be ready in a couple of weeks. Would you be interested in registering?

14. Hi
    The site will be ready in a couple of weeks. Would you be interested in registering on our site?

15. Hi Dpro
    You seem very upset about the post I wrote.
    Yes, I did train for the PGCE at considerable cost to my self and yes, to the government for which I am of course not proud of. Unfortunately, I don't feel I was given the adequate support on my placement. I don't think you have to be qualified to tutor and the fact that I am underqualified makes me no less able to do my job than you are.
    It's true I do little planning. The great thing about tutoring is that you can be flexible about what you do in the class. You don't need to keep to a fix plan. You can adapt to the mood, level of tiredness, etc....
    I think you'll find tutors are not ruthless and out to make a quick buck. Tutors are needed because schooling might not be working for all children. That's not to say teaching in school is not good enough, simply that there exists a demand for tutors and without this demand, tutors obviously wouldn't exist.
    Good luck in your career. Luckily, there are people like you doing such a great job working with underprivileged children. I don't think you should call anyone a loser.

16. My situation is somewhat unique. I want to get started as on online tutor only, offering to boost all literacy skills specifically at Key Stage 2 although I will accept pupils from age 8 to 14. I am offering a four-week 'taster' course for £40 followed by a full academic year course for £460 which parents pay only if they are satisfied with the progress made by their child on the 'taster' course. Anyone interested in seeing my offer should click here. I would appreciate any helpful comment or advice.

17. Don't know why the link is working but the URL is
    http:\\readingandwritingproblemsresolved.blogspot.com

18. CathySupply

CathySupply New commenter

Thanks for calling us all 'losers'. Like both my parents I gave up classroom teaching after a nervous breakdown (in my case after 27 years). Now I come to think of it, my dad was such a 'loser' he later committed suicide - what a waste of the training the state had paid for!
    I'm a very good teacher, actually, but not terribly good at bullying children, which seems to be what's called for in increasing numbers of schools (yes, in tough inner cities). Teaching used to be the ideal profession for dedicated and intelligent people with empathy and creativity but not any longer. Two of my grandparents were headteachers of slum schools during the war and I think they'd be pleased that I've saved my own sanity rather than tried to please a bully like you. Oh ... my daughter's just applied to do a PGCE - so am I forgiven for being a feeble, lazy failure?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  19. This is pretty judgemental, I think that teaching on a one to one, or small group, has massive advantages for the kids. It is a shame that in the state sector we teach so many students that you can never have time to truely individualise learning (i see 250 per fortnight). What makes me laugh about tutoring is that it is often the most unwilling learners in lessons who end up with it and work hard one to one when they struggle to find motivation on their own.

20. I couldn't agree more.