1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring - more money, no planning, less hours and zero stress

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bignosegringo, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Hi,

I completed my pgce on July and would be interested in tutoring. Can you give me some information about how I can do this please?
    Where do I sign up?

Please can you reply as I am very interested

2. Hi Phatsals
    Can you tell me which are the free websites please?
    Thanks

Merrily

3. Hi Early Bird, I'm primary trained and have just moved to Essex. Would love to tutor as I don't have a job here at the moment.

4. Hi
    Just want to add a comment about your tutoring company, I would be interested in joining in as a tutor. I registered with Fleet Tutors in 2006 while I was finishing my PhD and did get a few students on and off for a while. Had to move to Nottingham last year to do my teacher training and since then haven't had any clients for private tutoring.
    My subject is biology but can teach chemistry as second subject. Would love more details either about partnering or registering as a tutor on your site.
    Look forward to reading from you. Thanks
    Efe

5. Its

Its New commenter

OK, let's grow this idea. I was tutoring this afternoon. Lovely! Two A level students.
    Why not think of taking on several students/pupils at once? If you had, say six, then you could almost certainly start off a little school a la Michael Gove. There are plenty of people who would sponsor you once you had got going and take all the paperwork off your hands. Each one would bring in £5,000 p.a.
    You would have a regular income and a secure future.
    The downside is that you would no longer be as free as you now are. But the upside is that you would be established and able to help more people towards a brighter future.

6. Its

Its New commenter

Try Personal Tutors.

7. Have you got any more information about your new company? I am primary trained and I am the literacy subject leader for my school. We are a small village school so there is an immense of differentiation in each class which we all do instinctively now! I am intending to leave teaching because of the immense amount of paper work which I consider is stifling the learning in the class. Hopefully I can take up a new career in private tutoring!

Springpark

8. Hi Phatsals

Could you please tell me which are the free websites?

Thanks

Robert

9. I am a full time tutor and find that I have a very full schedule. Once you have a few students the word will pass round very quickly, get some free business cards from vistaprint and give them out to anyone you know who has children, they will then have them whenever a friend mentions their child needing help. The best website I know of is UKTutors, they take an initial payment when a tutee is confirmed, so you only pay when they get a student for you. They only take a small payment as a one-off, normally less than £10 so its a tiny amount to pay for the amount a student can make you overall. Another key tip is to contact local tuition centres, they will often recommend any students who don't want classroom based tuition to you if you will help them to cover lessons when tutors are off sick etc. Basically just remember that a good reputation is the most important thing, treat each student with respect and you will be able to pack out sessions in no time!

10. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Personal Tutors are very good but charge about £5 ph. First Tutors is free and makes a nominal charge to tutees of around £10 for the intro. They both come up very quickly in searches and you can monitor hits on First Tutors.
    Look at other peoples listings to get ideas and to start with don't charge too much. Once you have feedback on First Tutors you can up your charges. Personal Tutors are good for introductions so don't rule them out, they take up references and check your credentials so are trusted by tutees. It's another good starting point as most work comes from personal recommendations once you get started.
    Contact local schools as there may be parents looking for support and most of all check out your local market, ie if you are in an area of Independent schools check out entrance test requirements or Common Entrance exams, likewise for 11+.
    Once you get started you will be on a roll and may only need 'to advertise from time to time. Don't overcommit to an agency as they are expensive, I'm all for paying an introduction fee but that's it - you could end up earning say £20ph, £5 to agency, 20% tax and insurance and £10 left for you.

11. I am a qualified teacher of science and am doing tutoring myself but am looking for teachers to work in my centre in kingston and tooting.
    If any one is intrested then let me know.
    i will be also launching my website soon.
    It is much rewarding as the pupils want to learn and get ahead.

12. I started private tutoring by putting postcard ads in the local shops where I live and within a few weeks, my phone started ringing. There are also lots websites where you can advertise your services for free. You can also advertise in the yellow pages - try yell.co.uk.

13. It is also the first one which has motivated you enough to actually post a comment!
    I am a successful classroom teacher with 25 years experience. I have tutored for all of that time, and my pupils come from a wide range of families, some so poor I felt guilty taking any money off them, (and consequently charged a very low fee). Others were quite willing and able to pay plenty, one family paying £60 per week for 3 hours work, for seven years. I am pleased to saythat last year their son entered university, not bad considering his (undiagnosed) very strong dyslexia and reading age of 6 at age 11.
    I would strongly recommend tutoring as a way of earning a few extra pounds on top of your salary, the pupils are grateful and keen, the parents polite and hospitable, the whole experience is a delight.
    London based teachers should try http://www.londonhometutors.org as this co-operative does not charge a weekly fee. It is staffed by tutors, who take turns answering the phone. Volunteers give up one evening per year, and in return get lots of good leads. Tutors set their own fees, within a suggested range, and just pay the co-operative an introduction fee, equal to about two lessons. I worked through them for 17 years, and found it very effective and supportive.
    I suspect the above poster is merely an "agent provocateur", determined to liven up the debate. It worked! But you are either a liar or very unlucky, to have only ever met bad tutors. Mayber there is a reason why all these miserable failure congeal near you. Crystalisation?

14. I think you should be sad about the state of the education system, these people are not feeble or lazy, you may be great at crowd control etc and also have a great life. The sad truth is teaching is not teaching like it should be!! if it was then people would not write these kinds of comments. Many teachers quit due to the sheer amount of time wasted due to pointless paper heavy incentives which are of little use for pupils or the teachers, it may make SMT feel great and incharge. I have been a teacher for 12 years and seen numerous masters of the classroom quit because of an endless list of incentives from up above which just hinder. Teachers who have bought into the idea its ok to work with children like wild animals and suffer from stress and marital/mental breakdown because they are not trained zoo keepers have forefitted the right to normal every day life which all human beings are entitled too. There are too many people in teaching who think that just because they can manage the loonies and anybody who can't is weak!. Well you can see where the UK is ranked in the world for Maths and English because of the brainless people at the top who have said just get on with crowd control and laugh your way through it. I am not a tutor and I take issue with the fact that you say "Lazy" "losers", its people like YOU THAT drive us teachers away from teaching. The losers, the lazy and the feeble are people like yourselves who often forget to ask WHY are certain schools no go areas for about 90% of your normal teachers? Is it the teachers that have caused this or something bigger in the society surrounding that school? WHY has that school not had the power to turn it from CROWD control to learning environment? ITS ALL BECAUSE WE AS TEACHERS AND SCHOOLS HAVE LITTLE POWER TO DO ANYTHING REALLY!! Its NOT MONEY but POWER that we need to sort out this mess. We need less looking down at people and more at the root cause of the misery that happens in so many schools for each academic year. We need NO incentives just get rid of SMT and teachers who think its ok to have a school just doing crowd control. Anybody that makes an effort to take paid or unpaid position to help another human being make progress in life is NOT a loser or weak. You should also be sad at that the PGCE course is a gamble, get a supportive school your fine if not even if your great you can soon find yourself not teaching or ever wanting to become a teacher. Just a lttle note about spending- look at what the gov have spent and look at the outcome!! white boards, and interactive this and that, IT la di da- well its jack all use if your kids are leaving school not being able to read, write or have any other skill which is of any benefit to society. Many of our young people from deprived and not deprived back grounds are being sold short. I think for all the enthusiam and humour in the world it does not solve the situation that many teachers find themselves in as you can see from this message board.

15. State-funded training? I recall paying for my own university fees for my first degree and my PGCE training fee. As for my NQT induction costs, I started at the bottom of the payscale, so I still probably worked out as decent value for the State.

16. One to one tutoring is very different to whole class teaching and not all teachers make good tutors, as not all tutors make good teachers - the dynamic and skillsets required are vastly different. I have a good degree and my own family, have been a TA for 10years and tutored privately for 8 years in my academic subject. Despite encouragement from my colleagues to do a PGCE, I am not keen to do so, and prefer to work for myself. I now run a network of personal tutors in Worcestershire, covering most subjects. Many of "my"tutors are disillusioned with the education system - both state and private, and enjoy tuition far more than school work. I always interview every tutor and part of my role is matching each student with the best tutor for them. We are looking to take on more tutors as the demand is increasing - from all sectors, absolutely not just the wealthier families. We have a vast cross section of students from all kinds of backgrounds and from state and private schools.
    Working as a tutor can pay well, but as with any self-employment, it is not a secure income. It tends to come in fits and starts, and has to be declared on tax returns as any other work would be. The joy of it is that in a busy period you can earn a reasonable amount of money and the work is very satisfying, but as stated, the hours tend to be after school or evenings, which can be limiting. Time spent planning and researching is vital, and in order to keep your reputation, and that of any agency or network that you work with, should be thorough. A good tutor will get lots of word of mouth praise passed on to other parents - a lazy one will get the same in reverse! Keeping up with the changes in curriculum and various exam boards is necessary, but not impossible, and if you careful to save your resources and organise them well, they can be used again - just as teachers adapt and recycle planning and resources at school.
    I can't imagine ever giving up tuition - especially when I get news of a child getting the grade they wanted, or overcoming a hurdle they couldn't tackle prior to their tuition - we get all the joy of that, without the pressure of league tables.

17. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Hi there, It is a crying shame that you were not correctly advised, or encouraged to endeavour to achieve QTS. You are obviously a caring professional.
    However, you may consider re - applying for QTS. You can encourage and teach a lot more pupils, indeed, is this not the most rewarding aspect of teaching?
    Kind rergards, HH.

18. I have just seen your post about setting up a home tutoring company and was wondering how it is going. I am interested in finding out more and what is involved in becoming a private tutor.
    I am currently working in a secondary school teaching KS3 and KS4 Design and Technology and KS5 Graphic products.
    Thanks

19. Thanks for this - the thing is that I have worked in school for so long, and my father was a head teacher - I have seen enough to know that I could not always conform to the restrictions there are in the "system". SO many of the kids I tutor have been let down by lack of resources, and dare I say - lack of skill and caring from their school teachers - I am happier being independent. Much of the training teaching students receive is really just how to plan and deliver a lesson to fit with the curriculum - and pressure to achieve targets, not life skills for children.
    The other joy of my work as a tutor is that I can be teaching basic phonics at one lesson, then grappling with GCSE Shakespeare at the next - keeps my brain going, rather than being limited to one year group or key stage.

20. Hi!
    I started off working for an agent - who was lovely, but never met me. She died very suddenly and I was left without much work. I teamed up with a mate, who tutors maths (I do English) and we decided to advertise together - this led to us being approached by other tutors (both friends and strangers) who wanted to join us. We do not run yet as a company, but purely as a network. This avoids us being responsible for CRB checks etc - which we advise parents to ask to see. We meet and interview all our tutors face to face. I am first contact for parents and tutors and try to match them together. Our most popular subjects are English and Maths, with some enquiries for languages and sciences. Instead of charging commission, which is heavy on admin, we ask for a fee per student from our tutors, once they have settled into a routine with the student. This donation goes into a shared advertising fund.
    Before you consider setting up as a business, I would say you really need to undertake some private tuition yourself - it is a whole different ball game from school. We have some brilliant people on our team - some are teachers, some not - like myself. We insist that all are graduates in the subject they want to teach at GCSE, or primary trained for KS1 and 2 work. There is a lot of communication, and sometimes parents really need to talk and be listened to, which is not everyone's cup of tea.
    I would rather not leave web address here, as it may contravene terms - but we are in Malvern, if you choose to google us and have a look at what we do. We also advertise in Hereford and Worcester Families magazine, which is available on line.

Good luck!