1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring Job Interview

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by itismillett, Oct 26, 2020.

1. itismillett

itismillett New commenter

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could offer me some clarity on a job interview I have been offered.

I am an NQT who wants to be a full-time classroom teacher who applied for a 1-2-1 Tutor role at a school when I was desperate for work months ago. Recently the school have come back to me to offer me a place. However, I am a bit thrown as they offer no clarity on the work hours, despite the £30 an hour billing for the role. The contract is also classed as causal so that does not make me think that I will be getting a lot of hours in.

If I go for this interview and get the job, would I be expected to stay on until April like a full-time member of staff? I do not want to rule myself out of a full-time role.

Should I go for the job interview? Even if it means that I may have to rule out full-time permanent positions which has vague statements about how often I would work there? I don't want to be tied to a job that will not give me much work.

Thanks in advance

2. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

I think they are questions you should be asking the school.

3. Thorntonsj

Thorntonsj New commenter

Try not to get too anxious. The vast majority of teachers are incredibly friendly and welcoming.

I'd go for the job interview, where I'm sure that the school will answer all of your concerns. Make sure you write a list of your own queries and take them with you.

It sounds like a well-paid role. One of the most important aspects, that you may need to consider, is whether they are acting as an umbrella, tuition school and distributing their tutors amongst a number of local schools. That will impact where you are expected to travel to and the potential volume of work.

Another key query may be whether they have previous experience of tutoring, training tutors and supporting tutees? If they don't, I'd carefully consider the role. Just how much meaningful training is an institution, in its own infancy, going to give you in a tough role?

Obviously, ask about: mandatory training; resources - digital & print; whether pay includes holidays & pensions; the extent of the role (planning, teaching, assessment & recording are standard) does it include pupil tracking or other research demands? Finally, two pretty crucial questions: how are you to be assessed? Will there be constant observations, when and by whom (this is basically assessing their management style)? Also, what's the spread of experience in the team - if all NQTs & similar - that might be a problem.

All the very best of luck

4. itismillett

itismillett New commenter

Thanks for the advice! I was debating turning it down outright as I did not want to be in a firm candidate position when I am waiting to hear back from full-time roles with more clear working hours. Do you reckon it is worth emailing the school to ask if I would need to be a firm candidate by the end of the interview process?

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Ask the questions, and whatever you do, if they offer you the post, make your acceptance conditional on seeing the full terms and conditions. Then check very carefully - what hours are expected/guaranteed, across how many days, how much notice of changes to hours, exact pay rate*, notice period. If you're not happy with what's offered, say so - they might make changes or you might just have to turn it down. They'll have to accept that if they can't guarantee your hours you're not going to want a long notice period.

If you have an upcoming interview for a more substantive post, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to explain that and ask for their understanding that you wish to wait for the outcome of that, given the nature of this post. However if it's a case of posts where the interview is some way off or not yet scheduled, you can't expect them to wait indefinitely.

* I went for an intervention post which said "pay to be discussed at interview". I asked, and they said that was because they were expecting a mix of qualified and unqualified candidates; they gave no more detail, obviously (with hindsight) hoping I'd assume from that that qualified teachers would be offered qualified teacher pay. They offered one of the posts to a very experienced and qualified teacher, and the pay they offered was pitiful. She said no, and after a couple of iterations, they eventually offered a proper teacher salary, by which time she'd accepted a post somewhere else!

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I would be very dubious of accepting a role without having the hours nailed down. It is also unlikely to allow you to complete your NQT year. As for when you can leave, that is purely down to your contract with the school. My suggestion would be to go to the interview and find out what is on offer. If the notice period is short enough for you to leave if something better comes up, then it is probably better than nothing.

7. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

A word of caution - I do what sounds like an almost identical 1-1 role in an independent school. When whole school lockdown happened in March, I lost the role and was paid nothing as I was technically 'self-employed'. The family of the child I work with are now isolating for 2 weeks and again I am not getting paid. You need a contract that guarantees hours and says what will happen in the case of whole school lockdown or the child not being in.

DonutBoy99 likes this.