1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring in the Early Years

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by patchi, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Hello all,

I'm a recent PGCE Early Childhood Education graduate and I have been looking
    into tutoring. A few agencies offer tutoring for children within the Foundation
    Stage and I have mixed reactions about this.

The EYFS focuses upon learning through play and there are many opinions
    about how much of this is child-initiated and how much of this is
    adult-directed/initiated. During my teacher training in 3 different schools, 2
    of my placements were in the EYFS and the class teacher/school had very
    different views on this. My first placement was a balance between child-initiated
    and adult-directed learning with a VERY structured day whilst my other
    placement was mainly child-initiated and very free-flowing. This latter placement
    only has 10-15 minute sessions of Maths and Phonics focused sessions each day,
    whilst the first placement these sessions lasted much longer.

I feel in love with the free-flow, child-initiated ethos placement school
    and absolutely loved the experience and felt that this ethos was not only
    beneficial to the children but also to my own way of working and personality.
    It is this stumbling block that makes me reluctant to tutor this age group
    rather than Key Stage 1 and upwards. I love the Early Years and I know this is
    where I want to be, so has anyone got any experience of tutoring EYFS children
    and if so, how did you do it, go about it? Etc.

I am also a firm believer in learning through play regardless of whether a
    child is in the Foundation Stage, Key Stage 1, Key Stage 2 etc; I just can’t
    seem to get my head around it for tutoring EYFS children.

Thoughts anyone?

P.S. Sorry for the ramble. I do it. Often.[​IMG]

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

If you want to tutor you may find there are more opportunities if you do some training in primary, but maybe your area is different.

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I would not feel comfortable tutoring such a young child. I think younger than about 6-7 is ridiculous and then it should only really be if there is a definite reason for the tutoring such as falling behind, dyslexia etc.

4. This is where I was heading with my thoughts but still surprised that some agencies provide this service. My gut is telling me 'No' and I'm going to listen to it. Would do against everything I believe in tutoring children of that age.
    Just interesting to read other people's opinions.
    I can cover all of Primary, so no worries :)

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I'd say it depends how and why. If a kid goes to a 'bad' school in a'rough' area, they may not be learning at school, or starting to hate reading etc, so a good tutor could make all the difference if mum/dad isn't confident about supporting. My main 'problem' with it is few parents would want to pay for it.

6. I've done it very very locally for 20 minute slots throughout the week for a child leaving reception - purely as he was JUST starting to get the hang of phonics by the end of the year and mum didn't want him slipping back over the summer. We just played lots of different phonics type games basically, very light and very very fun for him - but because it was short sessions I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't very very local to me (was the end of the street practically). Wasn't 100% comfortable with it - but he enjoyed himself and was always glad to see me and it was just a summer maintenance thing.
    Basically mum didn't want to do things like say the phonemes incorrectly and confuse things which is why she got me in - so it was also partially tutoring mum in preparation for the younger brother coming through the school system as well!

7. This is encouraging to read. I would have never dreamt having sessions
    longer than 30 minutes anyway as feel this is too long for children in this age
    range.

Did you charge for these 20 minute sessions?

8. Basically I split my hourly rate into two and did two sessions a week for him - wouldn't have done it if it wasn't an incredibly local booking but as it was it was 2 minutes from my house so wasn't a massive journey to get there.

9. Thank you very much everyone! :)