1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring in library

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by katus1979, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Hi, I wonder if any of you lovely people can help.
    I am a Maths Tutor who had only ever tutored in students' homes. I have had a request from someone who cannot be tutored in her own home. For similar reasons to her, I can't easily tutor in mine.
    Am I able to do the tutoring in a local library? My husband mentioned that I may not be able to as I would effectively be running my business from there. There may be a study room that I can use, but I'm not sure if I would have to rent it and the cost may outweigh the benefit. I have contacted the local library and am waiting for a reply but I am impatient (!) so I wondered if anyone else has had experience of this?
    Thanks in advance

2. Hi!
    I don't know if all the libraries work the same, but I know for that in Willesden Green Library they have a couple of rooms you can use for tuition, they won't object to that as long as you keep it quiet, i.e. one to one lessons, not groups for example

3. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Dunno but probin these 1984 days someone will object! Wouldn't it be great if common sense prevailed and tutors could offer tuition to anyone in libraries-as a taxpayer I would be happy about this!

4. Thank you both for your comments. It's good to hear about a library that does allow it, I have found lots of US examples of tutoring in libraries on the internet but none in the UK. hhhh, it does seem silly if it isn't allowed doesn't it? Especially when our libraries are in danger of closure. I would definately take the opportunity to browse for a few books after the session.
    Anyway, I called both the library and the council today, and they couldn't help, but the very helpful lady at the library gave me the direct number of their manager who is on holiday but back soon. She said he'd probably know. A few people have mentioned that using a study room at a library might be a possibility. I would like to know before tomorrow anyway as that is when I'm hoping to finalise things with the student! Hopefully this manager will be in tomorrow.
    Thanks again

5. Hi,
    What was the outcome of this?
    Are you tutoring in the library now?

Hoping I can do the same,
    [​IMG]

6. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

Thank you for posting about this.
    I am currently tutoring someone in a local library to improve their English but it is the only accessible place for us both.

7. Not that I recall much of my three years of French but the French students sitting next to me recently as I supported a student weren't impressed. The fact is though that most libraries have ceased to be the havens of silence they once were. I realise that that view is self serving- but I need the cash, I'm afraid!

8. Have you thought about other public places, eg Starbucks, where you could tutor in comfort without worrying about disturbing other people?

9. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

I have just recently tutored in Costa where it was relatively quiet. It might have been the fact it was within a Waterstones though [​IMG]