1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tutoring - how much to charge?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by homegirl, Jun 13, 2011.

1. I've been approached to do some standard grade tutoring but I'm not sure how much to charge. I teach primary but have an English Studies degree and started a concurrent Education qualification whilst doing that. Thoughts?

2. Packupyertroubl

Packupyertroubl New commenter

If you're just starting off and going it alone, not with an agency, I'd try and build up a 'client base,' i.e. get a few students going- number is up to you. If it's Standard Grade or Higher or Interm 1/2, charge the same: going rate for some agencies is 25 or 30. You could start on 20 and move up after a year and charge more, once you've achieved a reputation. Up to you. Education has value- parents know when they're getting a bum deal with one particular teacher in a school, or the school just ain't delivering... Hope that helps. I work for an agency, and the only gripe I have is that, foolishly, after being asked by a family if I would help the kid of another family, i.e. I was being recommended, I said 'just go through the manager in the agency.' Twice now he's given the job to someone else, when I should've claimed it by simply asking the family who I was being recommended to, to give me a call...... you live and learn!
    Slainthe, Packup.

3. £20 - £30 an hour but make sure you know what you are doing if you are tutoring outside of your area of expertise. Even at SG there are certain expectations in the folio and exam about how tasks should be approached and what constitutes different types of writing.

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi, I charge £25 per hour for music tuition but I know it's more in the central belt+cities.Good advice to cover SQA requirements but I think you'll be fine. Don't want to worry you but does your primary training cover the insurance aspect for older pupils? Maybe your union could advise, and remember to keep receipts and declare your extra earnings to the tax-man! [​IMG]

5. Due to the supply situation (pay at point 1) from August, I decided to try tutoring at home. I did a little when I was at college but that was a long time ago. I have put a few fliers around the local area but don't know if its best to join an agency or go-it-alone.
    Any advice would be appreciated. As I'm primary, I'm not sure if perhaps an agency would be better for that. Also, are there any other primary tutors out there who could give me any advice as to how they got started, how much they charge etc.
    Many thanks