1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring excluded or suspended children

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by monstermum, Dec 17, 2019.

1. monstermum

monstermum New commenter

Good Morning

I might be tutoring excluded, or suspended children one to one after the Christmas break. I wondered if there was anyone on here who had done, or is doing the same sort of work, and whether they had any advice, or even if you were just willing to share something you learnt on the job?

2. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I do this and have done for about a year. I'd advise setting very firm boundaries right from the start, with students AND parents.

3. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Hi,
    I mainly work with students who are in care and don't have a school place (through not fault of their own). I have taught the odd excluded child. My advise is almost the opposite. I am very nurturing and flexible. You have to ask yourself why have they been excluded. I act very different with these students then I would with a class. I don't tell them what to do I ask them, i give them choices. We can read this book or that. Would you like to start with Maths or English? Is there any subjects your would like to study. These kinds of students often do not deal well being told to do something. Often these students are bright but are missing basic content. I would therefore use functional skills adult work with them rather than primary. So it doesn't seem like they are being babied. I always start off saying the work maybe too easy or too hard that's okay just let me know then change is accordingly. If they are obviously beyond functional skills level 2 then try GCSE foundation work with them.

Kateray1 and phlogiston like this.
  4. AnotherDayTowardsRetirement

AnotherDayTowardsRetirement Occasional commenter

Can I ask please, how do you go about securing this kind of work? Do you approach local education authorities? I am an established tutor in my area and wish to expand into similar roles. Thanks in advance

5. bramblesarah

I work through agencies. Just ask any of your local agencies if they have any day time 1 to 1 work. They normally what you to be able to teach at least Maths and English up to KS4 and experience of functional skills also helps. They often want you to be avalible Monday to Friday at least 2 hours per day. So if you says you only want to work Friday for 4 hours teaching English I doubt you would get any work.

6. alsoamum

I'd agree with you Sarah about the nurturing and flexibility in terms of the content of lessons and learning approach. Education at home is not just school on a one to one basis. I stand by my advice of needing firm boundaries but for me this is in terms of behaviour and timings of sessions, communication etc. I've been really messed about by a couple of parents of day time tutees (even when working through an agency) and it has been incredibly stressful and frustrating. It can be really hard to balance being a nurturing teacher and a professional who deserves respect!

I work for tuition extra and winchmore tutors. Equal education are another or Sugarman agency... check indeed for vacancies.

7. monstermum

monstermum New commenter

Thanks for your replies bramblesarah and alsoamum. If you can think of anything else from your own experiences that you'd be willing to share, I'd be grateful.

8. bramblesarah

Appolgies I understand what you mean now. I normally work with care settings and they tend to be better.
    I love job because you can teach what you think is best for the child. No one is micro managing you.

9. alsoamum

I wasn't very clear in my first post, no need to apologise!
    I too really enjoy these students, but have learned over time that a set of basic expectations is a really good idea

10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

On a practical note, schools and LEAs tend to farm out external provision to agencies for the 'hopeless cases'. I have had experience of this, and proved to be something of a mug's game. Before you take on such students, check with your agency whether you still get paid,if the student does not turn up. I found myself going out to tutor students, who were not there, and all i got for my pains were my petrol costs!

Bolter likes this.
  11. alsoamum

Agreed, most reasonable agencies will pay you if the session is a no show or cancelled with less than 24 hours notice.

I had one parent who would regularly cancel with less than 10 minutes notice or would ask me to stay just ten minutes upon arrival. I was still paid for the session but it felt quite disrespectful. I've had others who would cancel regularly for entire weeks at a time (meaning no pay for the majority of the week) but expect me to still be available the next week.

So, be careful about the terms and conditions you are agreeing to amd ensure you have some protection for cancellations.

12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@alsoamum: Something else to check is how much online lesson-planning and reporting the school, LEA, agency, and other bodies involved require. Sometimes you can find yourself doing two or three lots of online 'paperwork' for just one student, which I found very time-consuming; indeed, i spent more time doing this by far than teaching the students.

If your agency has paper time sheets, which have to be signed by the carer, make sure it has a mechanism in place if this does not happen, so you do not end up doing unpaid 'fool's errands'.

Another timer waster is to be told by the carer that the student had 'just gone out', and would 'back in ten minutes', so 'if you wouldn't mind waiting?'. A tip passed on to me was, if nobody was in when you arrived, to take a picture of the front door, with your phone. This way, if the carer claimed you had not turned up, you had time stamped proof that you had done so.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    alsoamum likes this.
  13. monstermum

monstermum New commenter

Thank you everyone. Jolly Roger, yes this is an agency. I've been told that they will pay if the student doesn't show or cancels. I am a really nervous and unsure as to how to start really. It would be a KS2 child with either ADHD, or other SEN and would be three hours per day five days per week teaching English,maths and science. Wish me luck.

bramblesarah likes this.
  14. countrylass00

countrylass00 New commenter

I am just following up posts regarding home tuition for SEND pupils. Please may I ask how you got on? Apologies this is following up your post months later!