1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring during PGCE or during holidays

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by KylerS, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

In Sept I will be starting a distributed learning primary PGCE and I've chosen this option to allow me to work during the course.

At the moment I volunteer in a school and I work as a student support worker with uni students. But this work will be decreasing after easter and I'm starting to look at all my options. Recently, I've seen a number of adverts on the Directgov website for a tutoring agency and the ad says that they would consider people during their teacher training.

I just wondered if anyone thinks this is a good or bad idea? I like the fact that the hours can be flexible and it would give me good experience. If I'm honest, I doubt I would get any work until later in my qualification, but I thought maybe if I sign up now and see what happens it allows me to keep my options open, as finances are always a worry!

I do have quite a lot of experience in working with small groups and individual children and I'm hoping to either continue with my current job next year, or perhaps be an SSA, which would all be valuable experience.

If anyone has any thoughts, that would be great,
    Thanks in advance :)

2. I did my PGCE part time so that I could work as well. I worked for a tuition company that had pre planned lessons. I found that working there was great training for teaching. The company isn't there any more but maybe you could find one like it?

3. Will you receive bursary payments during your course? If yes check with your uni that you are allowed to under take paid tuition work during your PGCE. I wasn't as it was classed as undertaking paid teaching work which was against the terms of my bursary.

4. Thanks for the replies. I won't get a bursary because I have a 2:2, so thats why I would like to work.

5. What a shame that company is not around, that sounds ideal!! I will definitely have a look, thanks

6. MrMercedes

MrMercedes New commenter

Hi,
    Just thought i would give you a quick heads up as i noticed from your previous posts what course you are doing (i won't mention it publicly). I did the same PGCE course - route 4.
    The uni had terrible problems sourcing placements and i believe they are still having the same problems. Basically too many students not enough willing schools/staff to find placements. I would seriously consider trying to source your own through any contacts you have. It was a nightmare situation (and a long store) but it meant i finished 6 months later than i should have. The lectures at uni and teaching staff are great btw. If you want any further info just send me a pm but i would hate people to go through what i did. Btw your tutoring idea sounds great if you feel confident enough, i would go for it.