1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring during notice period?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sunnyday2015, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Hi

I'm certain about my decision to leave my current teaching job, but notice period regulations mean that I won't be able to go until the end of the year. In the meantime, I like to set up as a private tutor and build up a base of pupils. My school is local to me, and therefore I might find myself being asked to tutor pupils at my local school. Should I just decline these pupils until the new year? I'm just not sure, if financially, I can afford to be that picky! Advice much appreciated, J.

2. I am not certain but I think there may be something that requires you to declare to the school where you work that you are tutoring pupils from that school.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I occasionally had colleagues doing tuition of pupils from the school - normally kids who had missed a lot of school.

Tell the school you are doing it, and there should be no problems. Do it off campus.

It's best to do it in pupils' homes. Our home insurance company got a little restless with two pupils coming to Phlogiston Towers.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It really isn't that easy to build up a bank of students - it may well take you a long time (if you can do it at all). Tutoring only lasts for a few months of the year too and if you are travelling to pupils homes you will not make much money from it.

I tutor for an excellent agency and in a good month you might make £300-400 (before tax). You will have to register as self employed and fill in a yearly tax form too.

I'd think carefully if I were you.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Ask at school, and see what they say.

In terms of whether you can afford to be picky, if the school says you shouldn't tutor current pupils until you've left, you can always tell any enquiring parents that you can take their child, but not until after Christmas. You probably don't want too many while you're still in the school post, but you might be able to build yourself a nice waiting list ready for January.

The school would take a dim view, I suspect, if they thought you were doing any promotion of the fact that you will be tutoring, so it might be a good idea to ensure that when you take details from parents, you include "how did you hear of me", so that it's clear that it was not through school.

You can get a relatively inexpensive insurance policy to cover tutoring at home - I know ATL used to provide a link to a company that had a suitable policy.