1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring and tax

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by em321, Jul 5, 2020.

1. em321

em321 New commenter

I’m looking at starting to do some 1:2 tutoring. I will also be teaching in a school part time. So hoping to do 1-2 hours a week.

I have a few questions!
    Now, how does declaring this to HMRC work? Is filling in the forms difficult or a lot of work? Do I have to tell my school? Will it effect my school pay? How much tax will I pay on tutoring?

Thank you for your help :)

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

You need to register as self employed and pay tax on your tuition earnings

Kateray1 likes this.
  3. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

Below is a brief guide for people who mix PAYE employment with self-employment. The most important aspect is you must register as self-employed with HMRC immediately before starting tuition.

https://www.employedandselfemployed.co.uk/

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Tutoring is self employment so you would be an employee in your school job and self employed in your tutoring. If your tutoring employment is minor HMRC might collect the tax on it through your tax code on your employment with the school. But HMRC will never tell the school why they are changing your tax code or that you have other employment. They just tell them what tax code to use. It could be for any reason.

5. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

If you are earning less than £1,000 a year then you don't need to declare it.

6. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

I just filled mine in today, it is very straightforward, just make sure you tick the £1000 trading allowance so you don’t need to faff about with receipts etc. First time round theres a bit of a wait for HMRC to send you a letter once you register. Shouldn't affect your school pay. And you pay the rate you would normally pay if it were a pay rise through school minus £1000.

7. pauly22

pauly22 New commenter

Hi, I'm filling mine in for the first time and I really can't find the box I need to tick to get the £1000 trading allowance. Wherabouts exactly will I find it? Thanks!

8. pauly22

pauly22 New commenter

Ah I think I found it now, thank you! These forms are not the easiest to navigate!

9. em321

em321 New commenter

Ok, thank you everyone.
    So I’ll register as self employed with HMRC this week!

Then I won’t need to worry about the forms until around this time next year? Just obviously need to keep track of what I’m earning

Thank you for mentioning the trading allowance, I’ve just read up on this and does seem an awful lot easier than calculating the outgoings!

I was just a bit weary that it would be more hassle than it’s worth!

10. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I file as self employed to Harv and pay tax through paye with an agency I work for.

I’ve never paid any tax yet through my private work as I don’t earn enough. Declaring profit last year did mean I was lucky to get some gov support for effects of the virus in my business.