1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring and full time teaching job?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Hayls, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Hi

I am looking at doing private tutoring after school and wondered if this was possible. Are you able to hold a full time teaching job and also teach after school? how would you go about it?

ANy advice would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Hi

I am looking at doing private tutoring after school and wondered if this was possible. Are you able to hold a full time teaching job and also teach after school? how would you go about it?

ANy advice would be appreciated

Thanks

3. Hi, I teach full time and do 5 hours of tutoring per week outside of school. I do two after school sessions (though one if across the road from my house so not too inconvenient!) and then three on a Sunday afternoon - I do this because I have to, I need the money. There's little planning time needed for tutoring, just turn up and keep working from where you left off. It's a lot easier to move children on in a 1:1 situation because you get to know them really well.

Hope that helps,

mom2

4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Possible problems if kids in your school want tutoring. Oterwise I don't see why not, it depends on your other commitments, eg if you have kids etc it may well be hard, but if you have nothing else outside school, why not.
    Also, watch tax etc.

5. Hi i am a full time teacher and am looking to private tutor out of school, how did you go about it e.g. insurance and do you declare your earnings? Thank you i am new to private tutoring it is only because a couple of previous parents have asked me to do so. Thanks again.

6. you need to declare all earnings- just because it is outside of your 'day' job doesn't mean you shouldn't pay tax etc on what you earn. You will need to register for Self Assessment and keep appropriate records of income, expenses etc.