1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring an 11-year-old boy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by giraffe77, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I've been employed as a tutor to help a child who is good at calculations, working out procedures, shape, measures, etc, he's ok at place value, but is lacking almost all of the basic number facts...number bonds, times tables, simple fractions that children this age 'should' just know! I'm not sure how much I can do in the next few months, especially seeing as I also teach full-time (and so have to miss the occasional session), and he often misses sessions due to other reasons (illnesses, school disco, etc). To be honest, I could do without it, as I'm only doing it as a favour...should I just suggest that we stop, or has anyone got any magic solutions to help his memory of these known number facts? I don't want to give up on him, but I also don't want his parents wasting their money.
    Any suggestions of strategies to use would be appreciated! Thanks very much

2. I've been employed as a tutor to help a child who is good at calculations, working out procedures, shape, measures, etc, he's ok at place value, but is lacking almost all of the basic number facts...number bonds, times tables, simple fractions that children this age 'should' just know! I'm not sure how much I can do in the next few months, especially seeing as I also teach full-time (and so have to miss the occasional session), and he often misses sessions due to other reasons (illnesses, school disco, etc). To be honest, I could do without it, as I'm only doing it as a favour...should I just suggest that we stop, or has anyone got any magic solutions to help his memory of these known number facts? I don't want to give up on him, but I also don't want his parents wasting their money.
    Any suggestions of strategies to use would be appreciated! Thanks very much

3. zannar

zannar New commenter

Playing games such as add or times table snap with a pack of playing cards. Give him 'tricks' so he knows 4X is double 2X, 8X is double 4x, 12x is 10X add 2X, etc. Use counters or other objects to show how many out of the total for fractions.
    Only a few suggestions which I use and have helped some children.
    Hope they are of some use.
    Good luck.

4. If he doesn't know number bonds or times tables, he has moved on to the abstract too quickly. He needs to go back to using resources such as Diene's blocks and Cuisinaire rods. All of the tuition should include concrete resources to aid his understanding of basic number facts.
    This won't just happen by magic, it will take a lot of work.