1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tutoring adults - mathematics - can you give some pointers?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by niky257, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Hi

I am a maths teacher (not working in school due to children) but tutoring GCSE evenings and weekends. Most of my tutees will cease come June and I am thinking about getting into adult tutoring, but have no experience of teaching adults - I am happy to take courses if needed to gain experience. Could anyone out there tell me a good route to take?

Advice as always appreciated, and am thanks in advance.

Niky

2. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

You do not say what level you wish to tutor the adults to but if you are currently delivering GCSE then I wouldn't think you would need more training unless you wanted to deliver A level and above. A lot of adults need to brush up their basic skills or maybe sit an Adult Numeracy exam and a lot will need tutoring from quite a basic level such as Entry 3 so the ability to explain in simple terms and build up is important. I am a trained Primary teacher but my current job involves teaching maths to adult apprentices and I find I use the same skills but have to make sure to use age relevant materials.

3. Hi - that information is really helpful, thanks - do you know if I am able to get hold of papers for the Adult Numeracy so I have an idea of questions?

Many thanks Nicola

ps - I'm secondary

4. PlymouthMaid

The Move On website is very useful and has on screen and paper resources. Also most exam boards are now offering Functional Skills qualifications in mathematics which may be useful.

5. Thanks so much - sorry if my questions seemed a bit lazy on my part - I need to get going with this part of tutoring and asking these questions has made me do just that - very useful replies, thanks so much for your time Niky

6. PlymouthMaid

You're welcome - good luck x