1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutoring a year 2 child in literacy - HELP

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Krayzie, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm due to start tutoring a year 2 child in literacy but don't know where to start - does anyone already tutor in literacy? How do you go about it?

Thanks
    Krayzie

2. Hi,
    I'm due to start tutoring a year 2 child in literacy but don't know where to start - does anyone already tutor in literacy? How do you go about it?

Thanks
    Krayzie

3. Hi Krayzie,
    This may be out of date now but my advice it to ask for samples of what the child has been doing recently in school, perhaps the school literacy policy, check out the curriculum guidelines for Key Stage 2 on the web and ask lots of questions about which areas the child has been finding difficult. If you haven't tutored a child this young before, ask them to bring in/ show you their favourite books and examples of their writing so you can gage the level and not blind them with too much jargon. All the best!

4. Year 2, not Key Stage 2. Year 2 is Key Stage 1