1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tutoring a reception child

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by cleocleoteacher, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi
    I am a qualified primary school teacher and most of my experience is in KS1 and Early Years. The child is ELS and the mum wants basic skills she said, but she did ask me what basic skills meant? I have recently joined an agency and have an enquiry from my first client. I have a few questions and I hope people can help.
    (1) They really took me by surprise by ringing me and asking me on the spot how much I charge. The agency takes £5.00 commission on everything. I don't want to go in too high and this is potentially my foot in the door, some experience and hopefully lead to other clients. But I don't want to undervalue myself by saying too low, and I don't want the client to say no and miss out by going too high. What shall I charge?
    (2) I am also quite worried that it is a Reception child, they are nearly 5 but have only just entered Reception so it seems very early for the mum to be worrying about SATS which she mentioned on the phone! I am going to take it though as it's the only offer I have had but I want to make sure I do it appropriately seeing as the child is so young.
    (3) I am unsure how to structure the time and if an hour is too long. In reception the class are only kept on the carpet for a max of 10/15 mins. So I know I need short, varied sessions. Shall I do one hour a week filled with short sessions? I am worried this is just too much for a child of this age, knowing how reception are. If I only do 45 mins shall I charge less?
    (4) I am going to look for free resources but worry I am going to have to fork out money for practical games etc, as being a supply teacher I cannot just borrow them from home.
    (5) Speaking to the mum, I think the child is EAL, and she wants speaking and language activities. Usually in Reception this is done by group and class activities and discussions but it's only going to be one-one with tutoring so any ideas of activities for this?
    I thought I would do a home visit to see what the child has been doing in school, so hopefully get an idea of where he is at school, monitor what level of speech and language skills he has and which phonics he actually knows.

Help greatly appreciated as the mum is waiting my response.

2. Hi
    I am a qualified primary school teacher and most of my experience is in KS1 and Early Years. The child is ELS and the mum wants basic skills she said, but she did ask me what basic skills meant? I have recently joined an agency and have an enquiry from my first client. I have a few questions and I hope people can help.
    (1) They really took me by surprise by ringing me and asking me on the spot how much I charge. The agency takes £5.00 commission on everything. I don't want to go in too high and this is potentially my foot in the door, some experience and hopefully lead to other clients. But I don't want to undervalue myself by saying too low, and I don't want the client to say no and miss out by going too high. What shall I charge?
    (2) I am also quite worried that it is a Reception child, they are nearly 5 but have only just entered Reception so it seems very early for the mum to be worrying about SATS which she mentioned on the phone! I am going to take it though as it's the only offer I have had but I want to make sure I do it appropriately seeing as the child is so young.
    (3) I am unsure how to structure the time and if an hour is too long. In reception the class are only kept on the carpet for a max of 10/15 mins. So I know I need short, varied sessions. Shall I do one hour a week filled with short sessions? I am worried this is just too much for a child of this age, knowing how reception are. If I only do 45 mins shall I charge less?
    (4) I am going to look for free resources but worry I am going to have to fork out money for practical games etc, as being a supply teacher I cannot just borrow them from home.
    (5) Speaking to the mum, I think the child is EAL, and she wants speaking and language activities. Usually in Reception this is done by group and class activities and discussions but it's only going to be one-one with tutoring so any ideas of activities for this?
    I thought I would do a home visit to see what the child has been doing in school, so hopefully get an idea of where he is at school, monitor what level of speech and language skills he has and which phonics he actually knows.

Help greatly appreciated as the mum is waiting my response.