1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutorhunt...any good?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by MRMTL, Apr 21, 2013.

1. I've been considering registering with tutorhunt as I've seen it mentioned here by a few tutors.

So, is it any good?

I have had a look at registered tutors in my area and I'm concerned that some of them are not well qualified and offer tuition at silly rates like £10 or £15 per hour and some are even still at school themselves!

Has anyone here had much success with tutorhunt?

2. I've been considering registering with tutorhunt as I've seen it mentioned here by a few tutors.

So, is it any good?

I have had a look at registered tutors in my area and I'm concerned that some of them are not well qualified and offer tuition at silly rates like £10 or £15 per hour and some are even still at school themselves!

Has anyone here had much success with tutorhunt?

3. GordonNome

GordonNome New commenter

I haven't used tutorhunt myself, but the site I do use also has school students and others advertising at such low rates. I tend to be very philosophical about it and reckon that the type of client I want is NOT going to want to hire an unqualified school student. Be very clear in your profile about what you can offer and your professionalism. Mention recent experience/ knowledge of curriculum etc.

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I use tutorhunt and have had work from them. My profile is the same on there as I use on UKtutors etc and my fees are also the same. I have had no problems from them

5. It's a load of garbage. I've just accepted a student on there today and they haven't sent me any details. They simply say that the client has been given my details and I should await their contact. That is not how I operate, it's unprofessional. Stick with First Tutors!

6. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

I've had a couple of students through tutorhunt too, but the number making enquiries is much higher than the numbers that end up following through. This is very different to my experience on UK and First tutors where most enquiry makers I end up taking on (depending on my availability). Seems to be a lot more timewasters on Tutorhunt. Also, recently had an 'enquiry' seemingly from a 'parent' wantingGCSE tuition for their 15 year old. It ended up being from an agency trying to recruit more tutors....

7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I would say that my rate of enquiry to take up is about the same with all three. What have you got to lose by registering?

8. Thanks. Registered...

9. saynotoboxticking

saynotoboxticking New commenter

Agencies posing as tutees common on these websites... in my experience, tutorhunt scumtree - sorry, I mean gumtree - etc. are predominantly full of time wasters,.,, word of mouth is the way to go... and if its the child not the parent enquiring, steer well clear - these are always the worst gigs !!