1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutor training courses?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Sophiesophs_2001, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Sophiesophs_2001

Sophiesophs_2001 New commenter

Hello all,

First-time poster here.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any "tutor training" courses (online or otherwise) out there? The only education certificate I hold is a CELTA qualification, but that was many years ago and I would like to pick up my professional development where I left off. I've tutored languages informally for friends and acquaintances on and off, but now I'd like to learn more about how to deliver private classes properly.

Thank you in advance for your time. :)

2. KHADISMA

KHADISMA New commenter

Hi
    I think that you can deliver private tuition as long as you are confident and knowledgeable in your subject. I don't think there is any specific qualification for that. You should be able to look for some tips perhaps online on how to teach if you don't have a teaching qualification but you've got already some experience, so that should help you. I started giving private classes (in France) when I was 16 to children who were only 4 years younger than me, without any qualification. As long as I knew how to explain a certain concept, give some exercises to practise, correct them and the student kept improving, that was the main thing :) .
    I hope this can give you some confidence and take the plunge. The more you teach, the better you'll improve.

3. Sophiesophs_2001

Sophiesophs_2001 New commenter

Hi Khadisma,

I just wanted to say thank-you for taking the time to reply and encourage! I've got a couple of private students now and will continue seeking to improve.

Many thanks for your advice and input!

4. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

Some experienced tutors will actually offer tuition to those starting out (I tutor trainee sociology/psychology teachers, for example). But if you're a qualified teacher you should be fine - best of luck!