1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutor time activities

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by hoyle09, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Hi all, i am looking for a little help/inspiration on this one. Our school has recently moved from a House system to a Year system. I will be Year 11 Progress Leader for the new academic year and am currently spending some time thinking about suitable activities for tutor time. Currently this is very unstructured and students gain little from their 20 minutes with their tutor.
    Ultimately I am looking to create an atmosphere within these tutor sessions whereby they are able to put the time to good use. Careers, CV writing, college courses etc etc....
    I am also thinking about creating a booklet that runs alongside this but thought I would see if anybody has any tips or good examples before getting too far in.
    This is my first post on here, so not really sure what to expect back but thankyou in advance for any replies.

2. I read your post with interest as I recently worked as a "getting hired" tutor for young people. I was so shocked at the amount of well educated young people out there who had absolutely no clue about how to write a CV or letter of application and had no idea of what to wear or how to conduct themselves at interview. I can't give you any materials (copyright etc) but time spent on this will be well spent and will put your young people ahead of the game. They need to understand that all their experience, including hobbies, give them skills which may be transferrable to the workplace. I am sure there is loads online and some of your secondary colleagues will help too, but I just wanted to say how valuable these sessions will be, as opposed to some tutor sessions which seem to be just a chance to chat. Good luck with it.

3. I'm not sure if this what you're looking for, but if you're in Europe, europass.cedefop.europa.eu is the #1 site for CV elaboration. I used it twice in my classes and it was great.

4. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

I'm a traditionalist, in that I use tutor time to photocopy, get ready for period one, finish my tea, put my tie on and generally get ready for the day. My tutor group are welcome to talk to me, if I'm not too hungover.

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If you want to make a difference, OP, you will need to make sure your tutor team are 'on board' with you and your aspirations. IMHO that means YOU have to do most of the work (unless you have a deputy, of course) and need to produce all activities, resources, ideas etc. for your team.
    If you just tell them what to do, and leave them to do it, prepare for disappointment...

Good luck!

(From an ex-HoY!)

6. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

I think you are wise to use the word 'ultimately', remembering that your tutors may have a difficult job at first, if students currently have the expectation that tutor time will be a social event. With this in mind, aim for a balance of entertaining and worthy. For example, Youtube has some excellent examples of how not to behave at interview!

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if your school does not enter pupils for "Business and Communication Systems" have a look at the syllabus. Some schools enter every pupil for it as it covers all the "getting a job" skills alongside using computers in businees context. There is no coursework.
    20 minutes a day could well be enough to get a decent grade, but even if you did not enter them for it the coverage is very suitable for what you want. I have not taught it for three years, but i think there is still a web site where there is a lot of sharing of resources for it. I taught the AQA syllabus.