1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tutor group troubles:strategies/advice

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Zadok1, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I used to always point out to my form kids that they were going to be spending a long time in each other's company and they better try to make the best of it. I also used to make a bit of a competition out of whatever rewards system was going on in the school... 'Come on I want us to get the most merits in Y8' I had a merits chart and helpers to mark down the form's achievements. It just encourages them to work as a team... and if you can get your year group involved... a little healthy competition is no bad thing. Tell them you want to be proud of them and then tell them if anyone tells you something good about them... in fact actively seek comments from their subject teachers to feedback.

I also tried to make form time more fun... so the register was never just answering their name.. I would ask a question and they had to answer in turn... What's your favourite... colour/pop group/TV show/sport etc I also asked things like what animal would you be? If you could live anywhere where would you live? If you could be anything when you leave school what would you be? It's fun to play and it helps both you and your form get to know each other.

I had equipment checks twice a week... if the student had all equipment and was not late for school for the whole week they got a merit... great way to make sure all the good kids get them rather than just as a bribe for the naughty ones. I also checked planners every week... kids put them out on the desk every morning and I worked my way around the class each morning... that way I made sure I spoke with every child in the form at least once a week.

Any issues that were bubbling... or exploding I'd tell them to come and see me at break time... that will usually sort the silly ones from the serious and removes their audience. On some occasions when I thought there was something that needed sorting out I would use some of my free lessons to go and pull kids out of lessons to speak with them privately.

If you have conflict going on between groups of kids try using a little bit of Restorative Justice... sit them down and ask them to talk about what is going on from their perspective and get them to listen to each other... get them to talk about how it makes them feel. Then ask them to think of solutions. You can give them ideas or make comments like, 'if someone said that to me I think I'd feel quite upset, I might even be worried that everyone thought that about me.' but the trick is to get them to agree a solution.

2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Are there no inter-form competitions? Talk to your Head of Year and see if some can be organised - get them working together.