1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutor first policy

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Ryanbradshaw29, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I have been tasked with the challenge to revamp our tutor first policy at my large secondary school.

I suppose I am after any thoughts on the topic or ideas on how your school promotes/manages the tutor first policy.

Any ideas or thoughts would be very welcome.

Many Thanks,

Ryan

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No idea what a "Tutor first" policy is, but I'd love to know.

3. Hi there ^^

Tutor first is about staff and parents going to speak to their form tutor first rather than going to Head's of Year or SLT with issues that could have been sorted at form tutor level.

We do have a tutor first policy but its not working. Too many simple things get passed up too easily.

I'm just wondering how other schools mange this.

many thanks,

Ryan

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Simple: if a parent refers something to the HT or SLT that is the Tutor's responsibility, then the concern is passed to the Tutor; HT/SLT/whoever acknowledge parent concern and say that Tutor will respond. Ensure that parents know who the Tutor is - that means an intro email or letter or whatever from the Tutor to the parents when the Tutor takes over responsibility for the pupil, together with a clear contact point. The meat of the letter may well be school standard-issue, with some personalisation from Tutor.

5. ^^ thank you. I like the idea of a letter being sent out.

Next issue will be to deal with tutors (with the added responsibility of dealing with such issues). Some feel it should be the job of Heads of Years and the none teaching student support team,.

Thanks again,

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

I would suggest that in your letter you make it clear where parents shouls refer things to the tutor and when they should speak to other staff e.g. subject teachers. You would then need to follow this up with a slot during INSET where you make sure everyone knows the responsibilities of the form tutor (it is useful to remind colleagues what is expected from form tutors every few years anyway). That may go both ways - we have subject teachers at my school who pass on every issue with behaviour to the form tutor rather than dealing it themselves or passing it on to their HOD

7. ^^

Very helpful. Many thanks I appreciate it.

8. For this to work, and I have seen it work and think it's a great policy, the tutor needs to be the first contact for EVERY enquiry from a parent, with the exception of a very rare/serious issue which may need to go to senior level immediately, and where there is a complaint about the tutor.

This way the tutor acts as an intermediary between parents and all staff in school and can coordinate responses. It requires good training and time to implement but is worth it. The plus point for tutors is that they only ever have to contact the parents of their tutees and as subject teachers they can pass issues to the tutor. It's great because the tutor does then become much more aware of issues and much more involved and a more effective response can be put in place when there are issues.

9. I like what you have said atics but do tutors get allowances to deal with these issues (ie time allocated) ?

10. Thanks...

I also agree its a good way to work. However the tricky bit is getting tutors on side. Some will say that we have a large none teaching student support team that should deal with these issues.

Thanks again ,

11. I would suggest that to get tutors onside you advise and support them to show how they can mange it and not let it become a time consuming burden. I would also suggest that it is made clear at what point something should be referred upwards.