1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tutee's behaviour

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by sallyrichards37022, Sep 28, 2015.

1. sallyrichards37022

sallyrichards37022 New commenter

I have a lad in my year eight form group who behaves himself in lessons but cannot stop getting himself into trouble by not completing his homework and messing around at break and lunch time. I have tried everything; the soft approach, tough love, stickers on his report, keeping him with me at lunch time... I am literally out of ideas!!
    Could anyone suggest something different I could be doing? He has a very difficult home life which obviously has an impact but I can't help much with that. (The school are, of course, aware and dealing with all the relevant agencies.) He does speak to me about things and I have a very good relationship with him. However things have worsened this year now that he is spending a lot of time with a particular student. I don't feel that I can separate them at lunch time as this seems unfair but I don't know what else to do. He won't speak to me properly in front of the friend and this means he is putting on a front to show off and poor behaviour is a part of this.
    Please help! I really don't want this student to be excluded but if this carries on it certainly will come to this. Any and all ideas welcome! Thank you in advance.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

You sound like a remarkable person an teacher to go out of your way to help this student.

Are there any lunch time clubs groups he could join? What is his passion? Are there any clubs or groups he could be part of that are linked to his interests?

Get one of the pastoral support team to speak to him as often as possible and they will be able to speak to him without his friend tagging along. Find something to award him for to make him feel special. What is he particularly good at? At least he is working well in lessons.

Trust others may be along with additional ideas.

3. sallyrichards37022

sallyrichards37022 New commenter

Thanks so much for your reply and your extremely kind comments! Your advice is very helpful, I will certainly try finding him an extra curricular club to be a part of. The pastoral team are extremely supportive and they are aware and helping with the situation - working on personal rewards for him at the moment!

Thanks again.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You are welcome and let us know how you get on.