1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Medusa10, Dec 8, 2019.

  1. Medusa10

    Medusa10 New commenter

    Hi at the moment I'm tutoring - we've moved to an area where even supply work is scarce. One of the parents has asked me about her homeschooled child being entered as a private candidate next year for her GCSEs. Does anyone know anything about how this works? English language is the subject. Thank you.
    deeone likes this.
  2. sbkrobson

    sbkrobson Star commenter

    You/the parent could either contact a couple of local schools' examinations officers-schools can redirect an email query sent to the main school contact address-and ask if she can sit the exam at their "centre" as a private candidate or you could contact the education dept in the local council and they can provide you with the name/place which would be most appropriate as a registered exam centre, usually a school, occasionally not. Exam boards can also advise.
    You are wise to ask about this now, as there will be a deadline for registering as an entrant which can come quite early in the year, and if in a school, they may also like the child to sit some sort of assessment first-that can happen. Some schools who accept private guest candidates like to know about their academic acumen first.
    There will be an entry fee, which presumably you know already.
  3. install

    install Star commenter

    Go for igcse. It's easier. Select the 100% Exam Option. Contact a local Exam Centre. It will cost a bit though so make sure you let them know the full cost.
    agathamorse, Piranha and Medusa10 like this.
  4. wrldtrvlr123

    wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

    Read the thread title as something else for a moment and was bracing for a completely different type of discussion.
  5. parseltongue

    parseltongue New commenter

    Dont let them enter for any GCSE involving coursework/controlled assessment. As the above poster says, opt for iGCSE with 100% exam assessment. But check with the school/college exams officer that the centre allows iGCSE candidates.
  6. phlogiston

    phlogiston Star commenter

    This may rule out state schools. I am not sure whether they are not allowed to enter candidates for iGCSE or just that they don't count for league tables. (Such things are no longer my problem).
  7. parseltongue

    parseltongue New commenter

    Externals wont affect league tables so may not be a problem unless the centre is not registered to hold iGCSE exams. The hardest part of home ed is to find an exam centre!
    sadscientist and agathamorse like this.
  8. sadscientist

    sadscientist Established commenter

    I’m afraid most centres don’t want the additional administrative work to cater for external candidates - it’s busy enough already - and those that do will charge a hefty admin fee.
    Also, don’t even think about asking for any Access Arrangements (e.g. extra time, separate room) the candidate’s parents may think they are entitled to.
  9. gainly

    gainly Lead commenter

    Almost all the new 9-1 GCSE's, including English Language, are now 100% exam assessment, with no coursework, so this is no longer an issue.
    agathamorse and mothorchid like this.
  10. Medusa10

    Medusa10 New commenter

    Firstly, thank you to everyone who replied to my previous post regarding entering private candidates. I have been advised by the local college to enter the home educated children I tutor for the iGCSE English Language exam. I am based in Wales and most schools use WJEC. Does anyone know of WJEC offer the iGCSE? I have been unable to find the information on their website. If not, which exam board would you recommend? Thank you
  11. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    I can't be sure, but I would have thought that WJEC would mention it if they did. But in any case, a school is unlikely to take private candidates for an exam their students are not doing, whereas some will take them to do the exam alongside their own students. My advice would be to contact schools and any exam centres in your area and see if they will take external candidates and, if so, which exam board they use. You might find that you don't have any choice and that you have to go with WJEC. However, if the local college recommends IGCSE, can your student take it there?
  12. gainly

    gainly Lead commenter

    Wales still has coursework (or whatever it's called now) for GCSE English; my previous post assumed they were in England. Hence they would have to do iGCSE
    agathamorse and Piranha like this.
  13. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    Useful information. In that case, I think the OP (or the parent) needs to get on with finding a suitable place. Private schools might be a good option, or an exam centre. I did find this: https://www.examtuition.com/cms/exam-centres/

Share This Page