1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Turns out we are going on strike 24/3/11

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by shirtandtie, Mar 15, 2011.

1. It's better to go on strike at a time when it makes a big difference-not in the summer term but during enrollment or better still during OFsted inspections.

2. mathsman

mathsman New commenter

The strike won't make a bit of difference. I wish the union would come up with a new tactic (to be honest I don't know what, but something....)

3. I'm not!!

4. On this we are in agreement, cheflecturer.

5. There is an organised "protest" I believe for lecturers at my place. This "protest" ends when lessons begin.

6. mathsman

mathsman New commenter

Point taken baitranger. However at the last union meeting I went to last year any suggestions of 'thinking out of the box' in terms of alternative action was met with an awkward silence for a moment before the militants started ranting again about strike action.

7. Same in my place.
    I think the fundamental problem is that trade unions are predicated on their historical origins of organising the collective withdrawl of their members labour. But this is rarely affective, even if it can be achieved, in the modern world, c.f. BA cabin staff.
    The battle cannot be won on the picket line; it is not the employers that you have to take on, it is John Humphreys, the Daily Mail etc.
    And it is not even that a strike by FE/HE teachers does much to raise the profile of the issues, (no impact on the Today programme at all).
    Not that the general public, as far as I can tell, has much interest or sympathy with these issues.

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Strike action is only ineffective since Thatcher changed all the rules preventing the "right to strike" from operating properly.

9. cariadwch

cariadwch Occasional commenter

Surely at those meetings branches had to vote and feed back to conference on what action to take. You could have voted no to strike action then. Most of those who whinge and complain about strike action never go to meetings - these people can't even be bothered to vote in the national ballot. How come only about 6% of UCUs membership voted 'No' to strike action in the ballot.....? I'm very disappointed people didn't vote because I did vote No to striking on pay.

10. And only about 25% voted yes.
    In fact about 70% didn't vote. And as union leaders the NEC has a responsibility to interpret the meaning of this very carefully.
    I'm not so sure they have.
    We live in different times. We now view ourselves more as consumers of citizenship, rather than citizens. Consumers don't vote on ballot papers. They vote with their feet; they simply don't buy what they don't like. They don't bother telling the shop they plan to shop elswhere.
    I suspect the majority of UCU members voted 'no' today, and went to work.

11. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

And if they did that, I hope really soon they find themselves in need of union support and the union tells them where to get off. If you're going to strike break you shouldn't have joined a union, certainly not one with a history of standing up for its members. If you don't want to strike, vote against it and respect the decision of the majority if it goes against you (for the record I voted against striking over pay). If you're too lazy to return a vote then you don't get to complain about the strike being called, and you certainly shouldn't ignore the strike call.

12. In theory yes, but in the real world occupied by real people....
    But was it wise to call this strike on this day, (without the support of school teachers), given the limited number of people who voted for industrial action (which was not a vote for this particular day of action)?
    I fear that when I go to work tomorrow I will find the majority of UCU members were at work today. And if that turns out to be true then more harm than good will have been done.

13. cariadwch

cariadwch Occasional commenter

maybe time for you to vote 'No' in the UCU ballot. Did you vote in the last ballot?
    best thing to do with the IfL if you want it scrapped is to not pay teh fee despite what UCU says or does. If UCU gets this ballot through it means you are stuck with the IFl forever - the employer will just pass the fee on to you anyway with a fractionally lower pay offer.