1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Turnips? Any ideas ...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Wotworklifebalance, May 31, 2011.

1. These have started turning up in my veg box and I'm really sure what to do with them. In the winter I put them in stews etc but I'm not making many stews in this weather.
    All ideas very welcome.

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Just consulted Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian and found the following Japanese idea:
    Turnips braised with soy
    2 tbs gorundnut oil
    900g turnips, peeled and diced into 4cm cubes
    250 ml veg stock
    2 tbs tamari
    1 tbs sugar
    1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
    Method:
    Put oil in wok on med/ high heat. Add turnips. Stor and fry until browned, about 5 mins. Add stock, tamari, sugar, bring to boil. Cover, turn heat to low. Simmer for 15 mins or until tender, turning every so often so that they colour evenly. Sprinkle sesame oil over before serving.

or go Indian

Turnips with yogurt and tomato
    250ml natural yogurt
    900g turnips, peeled and cubed (4cm dice)
    3tbs groundnut oil
    1/2 tsp cumin seed
    1tsp salt
    2 large shallots, peeled and sliced finely
    225g tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    1/8- 1/4 tsp cayenne
    Method:
    Put the yogurt and salt ina large bowl, beat lightly witha fork until smooth and creamy.
    Pierce turnips on all sides with a fork, then add to bowl. Marinate for at least 3 hrs, prefereably overnight. Strain but save yogurt. Put oil in wok/ karhai on high heat. Stir fry turnips until browned- about 5 mins. Remove with slotted spoona nd set aside. Turn heat to medium. Add cumin, stir and add shallots, stir fry for 1-2 mins or until lightly browned. Add tomatoes and cayenne, stor fry for 1 min. Return turnips to pan and add reserved yogurt. Bring gently to boil, cover and cook for 10 mins, stirring regularly. Turn heat to low and cook for a furhter 10 mins, stirring regularly to stop the turnips catching at the bottom. Add water if drying up.

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Add it to mashed potato (or even better colcannon!), grated in a salad with apple, add it to a gratin, roast them or I have a recipe for glazed turnips which I love to eat in the summer - very simple. Blanch the turnips in boiling water until just cooked. Fry in 1tbsp butter and 1tsp caster sugar and coat them in the butter and sugar.

4. Sorry, didn't notice new posts. They were turnips, small and round and white rather than orangey, bigger swedes.
    Emma

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

I do the MJ turnips braised with soy recipe and can vouch for it. Lovely! MJ also does a great lamb and mutton curry. The trick is to use the pretty little ones.

6. Try blanching and freezing for the winter - I recently did that with a load of parsnips and swede. It's really great when you come to do a roast and they are already prepped and waiting.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Pickled turnips are good.

<h1>Pickled Turnips

KABEES EL LIFT</h1>

This is an Authentic Lebanese Recipe

2 cups water

1 cup vinegar

2 tsp. salt

1 beetroot

Several garlic cloves

Big glass jars of these rose colored
    pickles decorate the front
    windows of many Arab restaurants in the Middle East. They are
    easily prepared and are very good with meza.

Wash turnips well and cut off a slice from the tops and bottoms.
    Slice lengthwise into quarter-inch slices to within a half-inch
    of the bottom of the turnip. Do not separate the slices entirely
    from each other. Soak
    in water overnight. Wash well in the morning. Place in glass
    jar with the beetroot, to give color to the pickles. Cover
    with the pickling solution
    prepared from the above ingredients.

These pickles may be eaten after three days.

8. Thanks Guys. Loads more good ideas - now all I need is for turnips to come back in to my veg box!