1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Turning into an academy, what questions do we need to ask?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kenbriooo, Jul 4, 2012.

1. kenbriooo

kenbriooo New commenter

My OFSTED rated outstanding school are looking at moving voluntarily towards academy status. I would like to know what questions we as a staff need to be asking and finding out before any change happens?

I have read many stories and experiences both positive and negative that I would like to be able to also the questions that will allow us to ask the questions that need asking.

I would like for any help in knowing what we need to be finding out and asking.

Cheers

2. kenbriooo

kenbriooo New commenter

My OFSTED rated outstanding school are looking at moving voluntarily towards academy status. I would like to know what questions we as a staff need to be asking and finding out before any change happens?

I have read many stories and experiences both positive and negative that I would like to be able to also the questions that will allow us to ask the questions that need asking.

I would like for any help in knowing what we need to be finding out and asking.

Cheers

3. Can I have a full copy of my job description? This is because although your T&Cs can't change, your job description (or what the Head asks you to do) can.
    What provisions are there for budgeting pensions? (especially support staff pensions as historically some schools have gone into debt for this reason.

Other than that, nothing else really as there is not much you can do to change any decisions!

4. kenbriooo

kenbriooo New commenter

Cheers Blissx, I'm not expecting to change a decision that expect has already been made or that's going to be made no matter what the staff think.

I just want to know what needs to be asked so that myself and others know what we are letting ourselves in for.

Do we still pay into the current pension scheme?
    How quickly can pay be changed away from the teacher pay scales etc? (although we are being told it won't be changed)
    As its the start of a new school are sick pay entitlements reset?
    Does working in an academy mean you have broken service with the LA so that you have any entitlements reset when you return to a LA?
    If someone for example is on M2 and works in an academy for 3 years eventually getting paid at an M5 equivalent when the move to a LA school in September, when they move will the be paid at M3 back with the LA or the M6 they had worked upto at the academy?

Just a few questions that I would like answers to but I am sure there are more questions that need addressing.

Cheers for any advice

5. The academy i work in - and every other academy i know - has the same pay scale. And yes, whatever pay point we leave on would be carried over to the next school. Academies are still state schools.

6. This. I work for an academy. I was quite reluctant at first but in all honesty it's exactly the same as my LEA maintained school was.

7. Capability procedures is something you should ask about. As the rules have changed for September and Academies are not required to follow the procedures. So what rules/system will there be?
    Does the school have any intentions of changing the opening hours including the weekend? If so what will teachers and TAs be expected to do/teach because you can be guarenteed they will not pay more.
    Like previous posters have said get your job description and have it on display.

8. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

What guarantees are there under TUPE?

9. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Ask about continous service and maternity leave/pay/conditions... when I left an academy and joined a state school, I was regarded as having no continous service and not entitled to maternity pay or SMP... big shock!