1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

turning 1 - true or false...?!?!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Millie dog, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

Hi all,
    My LO turns one next week (yikes! Where did the time go?!?) and it seems to be a bit of a milestone as to what you now can/can't do. Not sure what is myth and legend and what is true and as i never get to see a health visitor you lot can help me out instead!! :)
    1. Am guessing this one is true....we don't have to give her formula anymore and full fat cow's milk is fine?? To be honest she's had cows milk a couple of times in the last week and hasn't batted an eyelid!
    2. Do you have to sterilise bottles anymore?? Remember hearing once that you could just put them in the dishwasher... (Although we all know that the guidelines are that our LO's won't be using bottles once their one..?!?! ha ha ha!)
    3. I give her cooled boiled water to drink still (!!) Surely tap water is fine??
    Think that's it for the moment...but i'm sure i'll think of more...!!
    Have a great half term everyone!
    Millie
    x

2. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

Hi all,
    My LO turns one next week (yikes! Where did the time go?!?) and it seems to be a bit of a milestone as to what you now can/can't do. Not sure what is myth and legend and what is true and as i never get to see a health visitor you lot can help me out instead!! :)
    1. Am guessing this one is true....we don't have to give her formula anymore and full fat cow's milk is fine?? To be honest she's had cows milk a couple of times in the last week and hasn't batted an eyelid!
    2. Do you have to sterilise bottles anymore?? Remember hearing once that you could just put them in the dishwasher... (Although we all know that the guidelines are that our LO's won't be using bottles once their one..?!?! ha ha ha!)
    3. I give her cooled boiled water to drink still (!!) Surely tap water is fine??
    Think that's it for the moment...but i'm sure i'll think of more...!!
    Have a great half term everyone!
    Millie
    x

3. Hi Millie.
    Cow's milk is fine, you don't need to sterilise, and tap water is fine!

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

True! You can safely give cows milk at 1, although some people do earlier. You can put it in food when you wean them though. We carried on giving our son formula (stage 1) until he was 18 months as he was such a poor eater.
    Apparently you can stop sterilising at 8 months, although we carried on until 1.
    At our year check we were told tap water is fine from 6 months! Oh well, we did the cooled boiled water thing until a year!

5. We haven't been sterilising for a couple of weeks- LO is 13 months tomorrow. We are also sticking to Follow On milk for the moment for the vitamin content; got her 1 year check on weds so going to ask about weaning onto moo juice. Have one more tin of powder and probably won't buy any more when that one runs out. Also- have been giving her tap water since the minute she turned 6 months and she drinks tons of it, much much more than she ever drunk of boiled water! Not sure if it's a coincidence or down to her age but maybe she just didn't like the boiled water!

6. We stopped sterilising at 12 months and went on to cows milk and beakers rather than bottles at the same time. You can get vitamin drops to give alongside cows milk if you are worried about stopping the formula. LO is a good eater and eats a pretty varied diet so I wasn't too fussed but for the sake of £1 I got some and add the drops to his breakfast on the days I remember to!