1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Turned down... more work experience?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by vjohn82, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Hi,

I applied late in the cycle due to family circumstances; out of the 4 I have been unsuccessful for one application to teach Citizenship at Leicester and the History PGCE was full at Birmingham. I have two further applications for a PGCE and SCITT at Newman and Robert Owen respectively plus the alternative option of the GTP (now EB?) route.

However, my school experience has not really increased in the past 3 years since finishing the Student Associates Scheme whilst at university as I have had to juggle a job and childcare around my wifes Nursing degree.

I'm quite sure that all work experience is good experience when gained in a school but I have been approached by my son's Headteacher for a role as a parent governor on the school board. Would something like this be considered useful experience?

My employer has also kindly offered to give me a day release from my duties to spend in a school to gain some further experience.

Can anyone offer any insight into these lofty plans of mine?

Thanks

Vaughan Jones