1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

turned down cs work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by unicorn1, Feb 9, 2012.

1. I turned down a day's work today because the agency said they would only pay cover supervisor rate as it was just general cover. I know other people on this forum have talked about standing up to the agencies on this issue although I'm sure some other teacher has accepted the work! I'm still feeling guilty although luckily I have some long term work coming up soon which I will be paid properly for. I know work is work but today I felt like sticking up for my principles (not that I can afford to really)!!

2. I turned down a day's work today because the agency said they would only pay cover supervisor rate as it was just general cover. I know other people on this forum have talked about standing up to the agencies on this issue although I'm sure some other teacher has accepted the work! I'm still feeling guilty although luckily I have some long term work coming up soon which I will be paid properly for. I know work is work but today I felt like sticking up for my principles (not that I can afford to really)!!

3. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

Sad thing is that the agencies know that some teachers are so desperately skint that they will be forced to accept the work, because £70 is better then now't. However having read a number of posts, I am also starting to suspect that agencies have started to adopt 2 tactics. One is to force teachers to work as CS by saying that all there is and the second is the conning the teacher to go to a school and then saying, oh the work is as a CS, knowing that the teacher is unlikely to turn around and go home. I am also wondering, when they say the work is as a CS, how true are they being? Do they claim the pay from the school for a teacher and then pay the teacher as a CS to make a larger profit margin?

4. It is always a personal decision, mostly depending on money, and sometimes principles.
    Sometimes I have taken the CS work and simply felt used.
    And sometimes I have said no.
    Good luck with the long term work. My agencies have stopped asking me to do CS work anyway. I only did a coupla days last year. I was simply tasked as a supply teacher on half pay, as it was last call in the morning, no work set in any lessons, cover a shambles.
    School website says it is a great school.
    Not my view from the actual chalkface

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I have also, so far, turned down CS roles but I have been lucky enough to pick up Supply Teacher offers on a regular basis. I am not going to take a CS role when there is the chance another agency will offer me something better if I wait a little longer. A gamble I know but so far so good.
    I have been happy to accept other roles in a school during the traditionally quiet times (September or July) such as ICT Technician or general administration at a lower rate of pay but because it didn't involve the hassle and hard work of classroom management I didn't feel as though I was being "taken for a ride". (Quite enjoyed them to be honest.)
    There must be other temping jobs that pay similar to that of a Supply CS with nothing like the stresses and strains involved. (Lion tamer maybe [​IMG])

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My LA agency have now got the message that I will not be paid as a CS!
    I have been getting more part-day bookings on teAcher rates and as I'm on M6 that means getting the same pay for 2 hours' work as they'd have paid me all day as a CS.
    I think that the schools will have been told that it's impossible to get a CS for 2 hours at short notice and the pay wouldn't cover the petrol for some, so they are forced to agree to pay teacher rates.
    I usually make the long journey for such work worthwhile by doing my supermarket shop on the way home, thus saving the petrol costs of an additional journey that week.

7. I too have turned down CS work with more than one agency. I simply refuse to lower myself to do it. I did not spend three years getting a degree then another year getting a teaching qualification to be paid £60 a day to babysit teenagers.
    Well done for sticking to your guns!

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I was offered half a day of CS in a local school the other day and I turned it down. Instead I spent 40 minutes listing something on eBay that will probably earn me more. No contest.

9. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I've done one day on CS rates. My agency was vry understanding when I said today, but no more! In fact, the lass at the agency seemed embarrassed asking.
    I know that the particular school only ever pays CS rate, claiming lack of funding. Yeah, like anyone believes that! I can't give more details as the school would be too easily identified but I will say that they seem to think they are a cut above the rest and folks are linning up to work for them. That maybe the case, but not for me!!!!!