1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Turn that bloody row off...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It isn't often that parents and their children have the same taste in music, is it? To be fair to mine, they were fairly tolerant most of the time, but occasionally I'd be told to take a record round my mate's house if I wanted to listen to it. This was one of them.

How about you? Did you have a favourite record that your parents wouldn't let you play indoors?

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Nazarath: "Razmazaz" - 1974

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

My parents had excellent taste in music. They introduced me to lots of stuff that i still love to this today. In turn they were very open to listening to the 'new' stuff that I got into and my dad in particular became a complete convert to some really good techno, trance and dance stuff.

One piece of music sticks out as being a bone of contention though . . . both of them loved O Superman by Laurie Anderson and I wouldn't let them listen to it when I was in the house. I still don't understand why they loved that song so much.

cissy3 likes this.
  4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

My son was most amazed that I new all the words to Queen's music, the first time he heard it. You'd think he'd invented it himself!

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  5. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

My poor kids had to grow up to lots and lots of loud rock music. They tolerated it all BUT both hated Steven by Alice Cooper. They found it unsettlingly weird. It is! My parents got off lightly as I only played loud stuff when they were out.

6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

We had that album...... missed them touring because we were on holiday.

See Yes are touring but goodness knows who will be in the line up with Chris Squire gone now.....

I didn't have much time to play music at home..... was swimming and sporting too much..... made up for it as a student.

The worst "Noise" I ever had to experience was Van der Graf Generator. MrREMfan took me..... worst concert ever.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I did work my way through a Def Leppard phase which my parents thought was rather loud:oops:

8. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

After I built my first HiFi I tested it's limits with this (a lot):

The local disco was not pleased.

9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I used to have a little portable record player, and because I didn't want to disturb anyone, I used to listen with the mini-speakers clutched to my ears.

Problem was, I used to sing along without realising, so the complaints came about the loud caterwauling. :D

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My 11 year old grandson is a fan of 70s rock especially Queen. Brian May is his hero and he's learning bits of Bohemian Rhapsody on the guitar. It's like me being obsessed with music from the 20s when I was that age (I wasn't).

11. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

We were very lucky. Old Man Spirit would rather us listen to music than watch the tv. The ten year age gap between myself and Sister Spirit meant the poor old soul had to endure many genres. The only time he 'lost it' was when I'd put a single on and left the arm over meaning it just repeated over and over again. It wasn't bad noise at all, he just didn't want to hear it for the 14th time in a row

He had only come back from a 9 month posting in Masirah and I felt he's perhaps missed out on a bit of noise. :D

cissy3 likes this.