1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Turkeys running out already!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Sep 30, 2020.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Waitrose just told me I have priority booking for a Christmas delivery slot, as a thank you for ordering all year, so I started by ordering a turkey.

Eek!

They've just opened delivery slots, and ALREADY SOME TURKEYS HAVE SOLD OUT!

Quick, order ASAP!

Screenshot_20200930-102202_Chrome-01.jpeg

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Theo, are you advocating panic buying and stockpiling? I am surprised at you.

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The world will not end if we have to eat something other than Turkey on Christmas Day.

Jamvic, Dodros, Newidentity and 10 others like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I ordered mine 10 days ago from an online supplier of posh turkeys (to secure the delivery slot was more my concern than turkeys running out). The pessimist in me worries that we'll be under draconian national lockdown by Christmas and won't be allowed out, everything will have to be delivered.

Not sure how Theo is stockpiling unless she's ordered lots of turkeys :)

I guess lots of people are thinking they won't be able to go away and may not even be able to have their family visit for Christmas Day so every house that wants to eat turkey will need to buy its own. Higher demand, so not surprising that some have run out already.

TheoGriff likes this.
  5. LiveToWin

LiveToWin Established commenter

Looks like a lot of people may be stuffed...or not.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Being vegetarians, we never faff around with Turkey on Christmas Day.

colpee likes this.
  7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

These supermarkets are feeding the frenzy. Literally. It's disgusting.

My local butcher will have plenty. I prefer a turkey roll. He has them all year round.

Can we PLEASE stop panic buying!

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Surely they have not got them in stock already,so,how can they have run out?

9. Rott Weiler

How is it panic buying to buy one turkey?

TheoGriff, needabreak, bonxie and 2 others like this.
  10. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Turkey

Ok, my personal opinion on the stuff, much prefer chicken. But I honestly can’t understand the rush for a turkey at Christmas. If it really was as good as many claim, why wouldn’t there be a huge demand year-round? Is it because in reality it falls far short in the taste stakes compared to, well, a steak... ;)

11. Dunteachin

It isn't. But, a sense of panic is starting to creep in, again, and that first post doesn't help.
    Already, loo roll and the usual suspects are disappearing from shelves, again.

Have people learned nothing from the first time?

Marshall and guinnesspuss like this.
  12. Rott Weiler

Because posh turkeys of the sort that Waitrose mostly sell - organic, free range etc - are already running round in an organic turkey farm somewhere (typically they are 5 - 6 months old by Christmas). So turkey farmers know how many they will have available to sell at Christmas. When the number of orders exceeds the number of turkeys already running around the turkeys will be 'out of stock' if you try to order one. Even if it's only October.

TheoGriff, needabreak, nomad and 4 others like this.
  13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It bothers me not! Free the turkeys!

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

Of course he will. He'll be as reliant on Christmas trade this year as he's always been. It's in supermarkets' interest to create a panic in order to steal his business though, just as have been doing with small businesses for donkeys' years.

The bigger issue has to do with turkey farmers, who can't predict how large their turkeys need to be this year, if families don't gather en masse for Christmas dinner. There are certain things they can do to create a range of bird sizes, such as starving some etc. Depending on what they choose to do will affect what sizes are available, rather than there being a shortage.

As I said on a previous thread, it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility this year, that if there's a surfeit of large turkeys that don't sell, they'll offer turkey halves.

Dunteachin likes this.
  15. Dunteachin

Gawd. We haven't even got to Halloween.

I had my first online delivery, yesterday. I've booked a slot for next week. It pains me to do it, when I'm quite capable of going to a supermarket, but I envision a return to massive queues outside, in the snow and frost. Just no.

Lidnod likes this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I did all my panic contingency buying, very calmy and steadily, about two months ago, bearing in mind that the nation's Christmas bonus (on top of a resurgent pandemic) is going to be B****t.

Maybe the turkeys were too busy voting for Christmas at the last General Election to find time to reproduce? Oops, a bit of politics there. :)

17. Dunteachin

Contingency buying. I like it. I shall commence, calmly and steadily.

How many sheds have you filled?

18. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

We had 10 people over for Xmas last year. I actually enjoy cooking a big family meal. This year I am assuming we will be under tight restrictions so it will be me and Mr M. I already spoke to my sister, single and in our bubble who has said if things are that bad she will isolate for 14 days then have her single friend who has a supressed immune system over . She can't bear the thought of said friend being alone. I will probably get duck if it is just the two of us.

TheoGriff and Doitforfree like this.
  19. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

If everyone (who could afford to do so) kept a well-stocked larder there wouldn’t be any need for panic buying because there would be no immediate threat of running out.

A few extra tins of beans or tomatoes with the weekly shop and a bag of pasta once in a while and you have the basis for an emergency meal which will keep good for a number of months at the least.

Clearly this is an entirely foreign idea to many people given the state of the panic buying in the Spring.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Just the one. A small one. Maybe half full, if that. I prefer to think of it as a well-stocked pantry. :)

Rott Weiler likes this.